Try out Ubuntu Operating System

by lambsbottom 14 Replies latest social entertainment

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I'm an Ubuntu user, just upgraded to 13.10 and loving it.

Isaac

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

BTW, openoffice is now Libre Office, pretty good.

If you are a long time Word user, you probably will have a hard time porting over.

It is ok for new documents; it still has some trouble with Word macros and security.

• RobCrompton
    RobCrompton

I migrated to Ubuntu a couple of years ago. Wouldn't go back to Windows now. Main software I use is Libre Office (I believe OpenOffice is back on track now with the latest version) Shotwell, Gimp, Scribus. Those do everything I used to do with Microsoft, Serif Draw, Serif Photo Suite

• done4good
    done4good

I run Ubuntu 12.04 on my wife's personal PC. It is user freindly enough that she does not even notice. Run OpenOffice too. Not my first linux workstation, ran Fedora before this, (much less user friendly and basically "free" RedHat). Been a linux fan since the late '90s.

I use a Mac in my home office, but only because it can run some commercial software I need for school. (OS-X is a Unix OS).

Any Unix type OS is superior in terms of security, when you consider probablilty of viruses, malware, etc, given the design and the way it is hardened.

I only run Windows on my work PCs. They suck.

d4g.

• done4good
    done4good

OR - You can get a MAC , which is Virus free, never crashes and is reliable, stable, fast and

blows Windows out of the water every time. But of course Windows was an attempt to immitate

the graphical interface operating system Apple invented in 1977.

Btw, Apple did not invent the GUI. Xerox did in 1973. They gave it to Steve Jobs in around 1980, (along with Ethernet, and email technology), because they thought it had no market. They developed it for the "paperless office" concept that never materialized in the 1970s.

d4g.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit