Head covering for women--how did you feel about this? Men? Women?

by humbled 49 Replies latest jw friends

• humbled
    humbled

Thinking about how this felt awkward to some of us women when a bible student noticed something was "up" if a baptised brother sat in on a study. Had to reference 1 Cor. 11:1-16.

I wonder if this irked any while you were still in?

Does the WT still remind the lady sheep to keep a scarf handy?

• blondie
    blondie

*** km 3/05 p. 4 par. 2 Part 7—Conducting Progressive Bible Studies ***

Who should offer prayer at a Bible study? If a baptized brother accompanies a sister on a study, he would offer prayer, although the sister might conduct the study while wearing a head covering. (1 Cor. 11:5, 10) On the other hand, if an unbaptized male Kingdom publisher accompanies a sister on a study, she would offer prayer. In such a situation, she should wear a head covering when praying as well as when conducting.

Do you know why the sister still wears a headcovering if there is an unbaptized male publisher there? (per the WTS that is)

I avoided "opportunities" requiring a headcovering but I always had a scarf in my bag and a nice scarf was at the KH for sisters that forgot (no diapers or napkins needed). I recognize there is a pecking order even for sisters and even brothers. Women can't rise as "high" as a man but there are always the perks of having an MS or elder for a husband. But I was in charge of a field service meeting at the KH when a brother was there but mysteriously said he could not say the prayer (he was on restrictions, newly reinstated but we didn't know and he didn't say). I thought the other sisters would have a cow when I put on my headcovering and said the prayer while he was there. That happened to me once on a bible study (he refused right in front of my student and I had to explain that.) I was told that I should just have skipped the prayer: rather the brother should have waited until after the meeting for service in his car, told me in the beginning he couldn't give the prayer or the elders could have given us a heads up.

Never again did I put myself in that position. Elders are great at straining out the gnats (headcovering) but gulping down the camel (pedophiles).

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Antiquated.Demeaning and stupid.

I have a woman vicar, yay!!!!

Suck on that you GB.

• St George of England
    St George of England

This is still a big issue for the WTS.

The question Box in the November 2013 OKM asked "Should a female publisher wear a head covering if she is accompanied by a male publisher at a doorstep Bible Study?"

George

• Fernando
    Fernando

Now - appalled.

Then - ignorant.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

I too hated it. I kept one in my service bag but I don't remember using it much. They will do anything to make another person feel like crap. It always bothered me because again it was an outdated custom and a way to belittle women.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

It really is an annoying rule.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

I posted some comments (based on Numbers chapter 30) on headcoverings and headship here.

Incidentally, in that post I reference the Society's looking askance upon a man's tipping of his hat towards a woman. The reference on that is w52 4/15 p.254.

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

I thought it was embarrassing. I never wore one, even if I was saying a prayer in front of my husband. I really didn't think that sort of Pharisee rule would matter to Jehovah.

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

I just remembered my first experience with the head covering issue. Growing up with divorced parents it never really came up in our household. Then I went to a friend's house whose father was df'd and when we were about to eat lunch and she was going to say a prayer for us, she threw a tea towel on her head. I was so confused and I laughed, I had never heard of the head covering thing. Then I felt bad for her when she explained it was because her husband was "present" and couldn't say a prayer for them since he was df'd (outside working on the house).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit