"We have NO idea how many in our congregation were baptized last year."

by NeverKnew 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• carla
    carla

Please correct me if I am wrong-

Aren't most congregations kept at about 144 people or so? One kh may have 2 or more congregations. It is not that difficult to keep track of 140 some people and if they are baptized or not! Especially when they see each other at least 3 times a week, mid week meeting, Sat fs, Sunday meetings. In any given cong there cannot be that many eligible new converts for baptism! If they are the kids of long time jw's they would certainly be known and knowing the gossip mills that kh's are, everybody would know if someone was getting baptized at a dc or where-ever.

I call b.s. on the comment that they have no idea.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, you're right, Londo111. The way I should have said that is "I haven't seen anyone discussing that in a congregation". The elders would definitely have a record.

carla: I've never been in a congregation that big, and I hardly live in the sticks. Most congregations seem to be under 100 publishers in my limited experience.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Carla, that's what seems odd to me. With all the prep work one has to endure, I would have thought that there'd be a line up that would be the equivalent of a graduation ceremony at one's personal congregation after the swim.

Apog: A few handshakes? Wouldn't a person be capable of providing a vague estimate?...

"let's see, I remember congratulating Brother Bob, Sister Jane, and Brother Bob's 13 year old last Summer, and Brother Alfred last Fall, so 4 maybe?"

Pam's girl, you might be on to something. :)

• carla
    carla

I can't imagine congs that big around here either even if every car was filled to capacity, an ex elder told me that they like to keep the congs to around that number if there are large numbers of jw's at one kh, smaller is even better.

The people in each cong know who is getting baptized or df'd, marked, bad association, etc... so there is no way they don't know how many got baptized. Perhaps if one was a fader, they may not know all the sorid details of kh life.......

• Londo111
    Londo111

Giving individuals undo honor is discouraged. The word party is also discouraged in JW lingo, but rather the term used is gathering or get-together. In times past, there were more celebrations and social occasions. But the Watchtower started to clamp down on “large gatherings”, and if any ‘wrongdoing’ occurs as a consequence of the gathering, the person behind the gathering can be held responsible and disciplined. The Watchtower has even discouraged using the term ‘congregation picnic’.

JWs used to have more fun. But no more. All that stuff gets in the way of "putting the Kingdom first".

• emeth
    emeth

Elders always do know exactly who is baptised within the last 12 months since they visit each of those after one year... sheperd visit

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, NeverKnew, most JWs should be able to at least estimate, like you say. The person who said this doesn't sound very well engaged with their congregation....

• daringhart13
    daringhart13

Typical publisher of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Most couldn't tell you who the elders are or the difference between a regular and auxiliary pioneer

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am with Carla on this. Even if there isn't a specific report of how many were baptized recently, the recruiting cards have the date of dunking, the baptisms were announced afterward, the C.O. goes over the records twice a year and the secretary knows who did not turn in their recruiting time for the month.

Some of the elders in every congregation know how many "publishers" there are, how many are unbaptized, and generally who attends without being baptized or "publishing." Keeping track of the recently baptized is a requirement- the elders are to visit them in their first year to make sure they are okay. And it really isn't that difficult to remember a number of people and their names when that number is just about always less than the number of fingers on one hand.

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

As an fyi, the three I was speaking to are very engaged.

I was talking about the growth of other denominations so there's only one reason I can come up with for being deceptive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit