CO's & DO's age 70+ to be laid off on 9/1/14

by williamhconley 72 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Medicare qualifications

You qualify at age 65 or older if:

• You are a U.S. citizen or a permanent legal resident; and
    • You or your spouse has worked long enough to be eligible for Social Security or railroad retirement benefits — usually having earned 40 credits from about 10 years of work — even if you are not yet receiving these benefits; or
    • You or your spouse is a government employee or retiree who has not paid into Social Security but has paid Medicare payroll taxes while working.
  • sir82
    sir82

Imagine a 75 year old CO who has been in "full time service" since age 20. He may or may not have the 40 quarters needed to even qualify for Medicare.

And even if he does - Medicare ain't "free". There are deductibles, co-pays, etc. Not to mention the stuff not covered - dental, vision, hearing aids, etc.

I would imagine the dental bills alone for a 70+ CO & wife who are losing their teeth could easily run into the 10's of thousands each. Hearing aids are outrageously expensive.

While these guys are on the WTS dole, all that stuff is covered. I would imagine that a significant portion of the WTS outlay for medical expenses comes from the old guys.

Once again, Jehovah seems to have issues with managing his money.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

The difficulty for the WTBTS is that there are very few young COs coming up through the ranks

Not here in my area of the U.S. There are "baby" CO Subs popping up everywhere. Many in their early-mid 30's, company men, been pioneering for at least 10+ years, talks on all Assemblies and Regional Conventions, etc. Now it makes sense...they were lining these little kiss-asses up to take the place of these retired CO's.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I just contacted a couple of brothers in NYC that I used to work with. And yes, there is a plan to allow DO's and CO's to "retire" at 70 and receive a Special Pioneer type of allowance.

I didn't get a lot of details from either one but the plan is to send them to pasture and provide at least some minimal support for living expenses.

Personally, this is a good move in my opinion. I would personally add an additional amount for each year of "service."

If we agree with many things in the borg or not, these people have sacrificed alot in their lives and more of the contributions put into the box should go to those brothers and sisters, not just to Brooklyn (or Patterson, or wherever).

Rub a Dub

• sir82
    sir82

Well it certainly is better if the WTS pays some sort of "pension".

But I still have to imagine that it will result in a net reduction of expenses to the WTS.

They ain't a charity you know!

Oh wait - yes they are....well, they're a charity except when it comes to spending their own money!

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

I'm seeing (and hearing from other parts of the US) a younger crop of Circuit Overseers too.

Getting rid of the older CO's also gets rid of a part of JW history that is still fresh in their memory - failed 1975 prediction, the generation that "will not pass away", WT's involvement as a NGO with the United Nations .... and the days when the CO could give talks specific to each congregation or make decisions on his own without the heavy handed control of Headquarters.

ginger

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

That will be a bitter pill to swallow for these older ones and their wives. There will no doubt be some collateral damage in the form of awakened legacy members.

• hoser
    hoser

Good I know one old DO that should have been put out to pasture years ago

• blondie
    blondie

BTW, medicare does not cover dental and we are still employed but our employer does not cover dental (just minimum cleaning and inspection). Fortunately my husband escrowed his sick leave which will cover the gaps.

• antes8080
    antes8080

There are many 70+ CO and DO in are area that are going to get the boot around my area and yes there alot sharks witing to take there place, alot of them from the couple school, even do i think the end of the C.O is near, there i s alot of subs they could use instead.

And even if he does - Medicare ain't "free". There are deductibles, co-pays, etc. Not to mention the stuff not covered - dental, vision, hearing aids, etc.

And any of the plans the borg has are not free either i have been account servant and have payed of medical expenses for when they have Doctor Visits, all most all CO go to medicare after 65 but the congregation keeps on paying for health INS and they poet the money..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit