Can you solve this math riddle?

by moomanchu 5 Replies latest jw friends

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

http://www.wimp.com/mathriddle/

I got it before they gave the answer.

How about you?

I also thought the ending was interesting as regards the "truth".

• KariOtt
    KariOtt

I saw this on Right This Minute last week.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I was overthinking the question at first, so I wasn't close to figuring it out. But I definitely wouldn't have spent long trying out doubled numbers on him; naturally a person needs to use the process of elimination to find a sequence that breaks the rules and then narrow it down from there.

I didn't expect people to get hung up on the doubled numbers for so long, but it's true that we all tend to suffer from confirmation bias. This is an interesting way of demonstrating it that I wouldn't have expected would work, I'll have to remember it.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

This really explains a lot of the WT's problem. They don't allow anyone trying to disprove the ideas they come up with.

Even before I saw the video (in the link above), I was thinking about this when I overheard my wife reading the Daily Text for today (3/5/2014) I pasted the text below, but my comments and links are interspersed in italics:

• *** Text for Wednesday, March 05, 2014 ***

The words are made secret and sealed up until the time of the end.—Dan. 12:9.

Today, we can grasp the meaning of prophecies (Confirmation bias as in the video above, but in reality, simply an assertion.) that remained a “secret” for ages but are now being fulfilled in this time of the end (They are, of course, assuming "the time of the end began in 1914, but see here and here for Bible view). These include those found throughout the Scriptures, especially in the Gospels and the book of Revelation. Jehovah has even helped us understand events that we could not see with our eyes (More confirmation bias via simple assertion based on their own opinions)—the enthronement of Jesus (The Society says in 1914, the Bible indicates sometime around Jesus ascension in 33 AD; see here for various verses concerning when Jesus began his rule, and here for how parousia or "presense" is spoken of in relation to Jesus, and here regarding the phrase "The Kingdom of God/Heaven has drawn near"), the war in heaven, and the hurling of Satan down to the earth (The Society believes sometime after 1914, but see here towards the end of this post for what Jesus indicated). (Rev. 12:7-12) God has also given us insight into the meaning of what we can see (Again, more confirmation bias, but simply asserted based on their own opinions)—wars, earthquakes, pestilences, food shortages (The Society takes these to be part of "the sign," in contradiction to what Jesus said - see here), as well as godless people who contribute to these “critical times hard to deal with.” (2 Tim. 3:1-5; Luke 21:10, 11) (The Society takes 2 Tim 3:1-5 as only being fulfilled in modern times. See here for the Society's view, but below for how the context disagrees with the WT.) How grateful we are that “the helper,” God’s holy spirit, has been sent to guide Jesus’ followers “into all the truth”! (John 16:7, 13) May we always treasure “the true knowledge” (See here for the problem with the NWT rendition of Daniel 12:4, "the true knowledge) and unselfishly share it with others!—Dan. 12:4. w12 8/15 1:7, 8

• With regard to 2 Timothy 3:1-5, the Society argues that these could only refer to some then future time, namely, since 1914. But note in the context: Paul tells Timothy (in verse 5) to "turn away" from the ones described in verses 2-5. Also, in verses 6-9 Paul describes men "from among these," that is, the ones described in verses 2 thru 5, and in verse 9 Paul says "they will make no further progress," indicating such ones were already active. All this confirms that Paul saw himself and Timothy in the midst of the "last days" he referred to in verse 1.

Most of the Society's effort is spent in telling others that they are right, and preventing others from analysing whether they are acually right or not.

Take care

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I kept wondering why participants don't mix up the numbers, add a negative number in the mix, or put the numbers in random order.

He explained why. Interesting.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I like how the video demonstrates scientific method.

JW's do the opposite of this scientific method, 4:05 in the video.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit