International Conventions for 2014 - Landover, MD - What is an International Convention?

by insearchoftruth 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

All in all sounds pretty painful to me!!

• 20yearfader
    20yearfader

ah dc's at the capitol center back in the day vanilla pudding shasta sodas and hoagies highlite of my summer as a kid..that is sad lol left before we had to go to the vet.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Nothing beat a cheese danish and a slushy O.J!!

To me an international convention is a waste of time. JWs go there to soak up some spirituality through osmosis. Hopefully, the IC will get them through the boring days of the endless JW treadmill of life, until the next "special" event. It's a scam as well. For an organization who NEVER solicits [ just look up the definition, LOL!!] they sure made a crap-load of $$$ with donations to bring the missionaries home to their native lands.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Insearch:

When discussing restrictions on attending, unless the 'rules' have changed since I stopped attending, restrictions are placed on attending an International Convention in another country, not the IC that the local congregation is assigned to.

If your wife's study conductor congregation is assigned to the one at Fed Ex Field, then that venue is where your wife would automatically also attend as that is the convention location for her local congregation. In the very least, the Sunday talk is always called a Public Discourse whether any of the public actually attend or not.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

So unfortunately I'm going to this one. Fed Ex in August! It's going to be absolutely miserable. My understanding is that most of the congregations from Richmond north past Baltimore are assigned. It's going to be more awful than normal since temps will easily be in the 90s and humid. And if it rains, ugh.

I've heard that not many "international delegates" are going to be there. Mainly just missionaries coming home. Also, there are several in my congregation that are not going due to the venue. They've already decided to go to either Roanoke or Raleigh. Finally, I've heard (a family member told me and I believe that person) that there have been local needs parts in some congregations to quit mummering about the venue! I know of several people (including elders/ms) that have complained to me in no uncertain terms how much this sucks!! Of course, they'll still go and donate so the GB could care less.

• Incognito
    Incognito

Doubting Bro said:

Finally, I've heard (a family member told me and I believe that person) that there have been local needs parts in some congregations to quit mummering about the venue!

Ah! The usual procedure: The beatings will continue - until morale improves.

I suspect the local needs part amounted to the following: 'How dare you complain about the venue Jehovah has graciously made available through his faithful slave. Readjust YOUR attitude Brothers and be grateful!'

Watch to see if the Elder giving that 'advice' will have an excuse afterward, as to why he and his family could not attend that convention but instead, had to attend an alternate (read: more comfortable) convention venue on another weekend.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

"My understanding is that most of the congregations from Richmond north past Baltimore are assigned."

Would that include most of the Virginia Engliish speaking congregations, we are in the tidewater area.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Hello Insearchoftruth. It's great to see you post again. Sorry to hear your situation hasn't changed all that much. Hang in there.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I've noted people in "international" garb at the DC's. I imagine an "international" assembly would have more.

After all, this imagined international brotherhood is one of the "brands" the WTS promotes.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Enjoying a week at the beach is much more appealing without having to listen to hour after hour of bullshit about the faithful slave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit