International Conventions for 2014 - Landover, MD - What is an International Convention?

by insearchoftruth 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yes, you must apply to go. My parents have done so. I laughed and asked my mother why you needed to apply, why not just go. She said they needed to make sure that there was enough room for everyone!

She also said that applications involved how many years of service and what privileges one holds are taken into account. So this seems to be a consolidation of the uberfaithful.

As far as just any old person attending, I don't know how they would stop them, but I'm sure they will have some gestapo tactics in place.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

It's basically an over-priced vacation for rich foreign loyalists to enjoy and brag about attending. The experience is highlighted by the "It's a Small World"-like atmosphere and random appearances by cherised members of the GB.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

The "emotional experience" of an international can literally trap a cultist for life. I remember my own father relating his experience in one of the former Eastern European countries, when he attended in the 90s. He was literally in tears about the "brotherhood" and how it moved him.

I'm surprised JW leadership doesn't push these things harder, just to cement member loyalty.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

If you are not invited or can not obtain credentials for the international convention what would your options be since it appear that there has been a lot of the 'basketball arena' size conventions eliminated, at least this year. I see two spanish speaking conventions in Richmond and an ASL one at the assembly hall in Richmond, but nothing in English in the mid-Atlantic area.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Don't go.

• sherah
    sherah

If she attends/studies with someone from one of congs assigned in the DC/MD/VA area, she's good. l believe most of the congregations are going, my dubbie family are excited to sit in the heat for three days.

• losingit
    losingit

Wow! So FedEx Stadium, where the Redskins play, is the venue for the DC this year?! Smh... Happy I'm out now. I went to a football game there in September and practically melted in the heat. It's going to be MISERABLE in the summer. Oh myyyy :-\

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

They used to hold it at the Capital Center in Landover back in the 1980s. Indoors and airconditioned!

Then we got sent to Veteran's Stadium in Philadelphia. Outdoors and hot! It was quite the adjustment.

• sherah
    sherah

DC's at the Vet...stifling meat market

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I've been to one. You have to have the elders sign off on your application form to state you are in good standing. If you lose your good standing after that you are not allowed to go. that is of course if it's not the one in your country to which you've been assigned, ie the last one in Sydney in 2003 had all of Australia assigned to it and anyone in Australia could go.

Content wise, the international differs only in that it has these 15 minute sessions where someone reads experiences from other countries. Added together these sessions push it from a normal 3 day bore fest to a 3.5 day bore fest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit