Sad topic but wrongly worded.

by compound complex 39 Replies latest social humour

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

CC: It was, sadly, a close call for those in proximity, an attraction, to be sure, though not necessarily fatal.

Don't you mean it was "a Close call"?

A Close Call!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

a "Close" call is always fatal...sadly.

• compound complex
    compound complex

YES, YES, Oubliette and Shirley!

I went for the lower case deliberately; a good writer knows that the astute reader (vous-meme) will get the correct inference from a well-placed implication . . .

Kudos and thanks.

Scary -- I have her hair.

CC

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

How'd ya get her hair, CoCo?

Was it a close shave?

___

Did you call me A stute?

Q-What's a stute?

A-Fatally close combo of hare stew and root vegetables!

Yep, stick a fork in me...

Sadly, I'm done!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hola, rip!

As usual, your word play is muy fabuloso!

!!!

Muchas gracias.

CC

• Magnum
    Magnum

original: "Glenn Close stepped on the stage to honor the academy members who sadly passed away this evening."

my version: "Glenn Close sadly stepped on the stage this evening to honor the academy members who had passed away."

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

De nada, Senor CoCo!!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Welcome, Magnum!

Thanks for joining in. We're happy to have you here.

Blessings and peace.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

"Glenn Close stepped on the stage to honor the academy members who sadly passed away this evening."

"Glenn Close stepped on stage this evening to honor the academy members who, sadly, [had] passed away."

The big, confusing deal here is the misplacement of the adverbial phrase "this evening," describing at what time Ms. Close STEPPED onto the stage. The deceased, obviously, did not pass away on the night of the Oscars. Two past tenses are needed here. The earlier past action must employ the auxiliary verb "had" to indicate an action previous to another, namely, the deceased HAD DIED before Ms. Close STEPPED onto the stage. BTW, I would say that she stepped on stage, rather than on the stage, as the former is treated like an expression. There is no need to specify through the direct article the a particular stage as distinct from all others.

Sheesh! Enuf already!!!!!!!!!!

The disjunct sadly -- not essential to the sentence -- must be set off by commas.

THANKS!

CC

• smiddy
    smiddy

Maybe a few more died after Mathew Mac`s acceptance speech for his Oscar. Why do they embarrass themselves and especially us , praising GOD for their award. SHEEEESH

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit