Sad topic but wrongly worded.

by compound complex 39 Replies latest social humour

• compound complex
    compound complex

"Glenn Close stepped on the stage to honor the academy members who sadly passed away this evening."

www.eonline.com/news/516415/bette-midler-sings-during . . .

What did the reporter MEAN to say?

Thanks. CoCo

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

One morning, while camping, I saw a bear in my pajamas.

How it got in my pajamas, I'll never know!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Oubliette!

Your writing and proper use of punctuation have long impressed me, within or without the PJs!

Best.

CC

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Guess what tomorrow is

It's National Grammar Day

Oh how we've waited all year

and now it's finally here

We need puncuation equilibrium

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Thanks CoCo.

I'm not sure how to untangle that Gordian knot of a sentence. It's a mess. I'd probably cut it apart and reassemble it. Here's one idea:

• After stepping onto the stage this evening, Glenn Close spoke in honor of the academy members who sadly (have) passed away recently.

I'd prefer:

• After stepping onto the stage this evening, Glenn Close spoke in honor of the academy members who recently (have) passed away.

But "sadly" was in the original and I tried to retain it.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

maybe some academy members did pass away that very evening (sadly).

"Glenn Close stepped on the stage to honor the academy members who sadly passed away this evening."

re-written as:

"With honor, Glenn Close stepped on the academy members who sadly passed away on stage this evening"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

ADCMS, awesome job!

One question, did Glenn Close step on their already dead bodies or was her stepping on them the proximate cause of death? Your writing is unclear in that regard.

BTW, you should enter the Bulwer-Lytton fiction contest. After all, it was a dark and stormy night.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

"Glenn Close stepped on the stage this evening to honor the academy members who sadly passed away [in the past year]."

But I like ADCMS' versions better.

PS Sadly, they neglected to list Dennis Farina, one of my favorite character actors.

Ironically, he starred opposite Bette Midler (who sang during the In Memoriam segment), a few years ago.

That Old Feeling (1997) Poster

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Oubliette: One question, did Glenn Close step on their already dead bodies or was her stepping on them the proximate cause of death? Your writing is unclear in that regard.

You are correct, sir. Being limited within the sentence presented, I did my best to articulate the thought without utliizing too much artstic license. In a perfect world, I would've written:

original: "With honor, Glenn Close stepped on the academy members who sadly passed away on stage this evening"

"With honor, Glenn Close stepped on the academy members who were not quite dead yet, but sadly passed away on stage this evening sooner than they would have had Glenn Close not stepped on them."

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear humorists, et al:

What a joy to come home to such a variety of treatments!

I believe that it was a dark and stormy night, given Ellen's reference to worldwide concern over the menacing rain and her gratitude for everyone's prayers . . .

Yoouse guys and gals is too much!!!

It was, sadly, a close call for those in proximity, an attraction, to be sure, though not necessarily fatal.

CC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit