The question of the crucifix.

by quellycatface 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

That was one of my questions when I started to wake up. Not whether or not Jesus was on a cross or a stake but why does it really matter?

Why was there long section explaining why it was a stake and not a cross in the back of the green bible? It isn't like it was christians that were killing him.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The Cross verse Stake debate had its noted focus decades ago by the WTS., it was intensionally done to

point out the false teachings of most of Christendom in how they worship or use that specific graven image.

The WTS. may have gotten the bible teaching of not making graven images right which was typical in part by

most ancient pagan idolized states of worship but the cross stake was indeed used for Crucifixion by the ancient Romans and

this can be collaborated by archaeological findings.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

it was intensionally done to point out the false teachings of most of Christendom in how they worship or use that specific graven image.

I had more extensive comments on this topic on another thread, but the WT basically lures potential converts into applying a false process of elimination that results in only the WT being left as "having the truth." The more you can throw into that basket, the better. They encourage you to eliminate any religion that belives in the trinity, a literal hell, that all Christians go to heaven, that Jesus died on a cross, etc. After you've applied the test, well, the Witnesses must have the truth! In order for this game to work, you have to have as many unique or nearly unique views. Provided that you have a student who (a) is gullible enough to begin with the premise that God exists and that the Bible is true and (b) who does not possess the necessary critical thinkings skills to see the flaws in the Witnesses carefully-constructed arguments, such students can readily be duped.

• Bella15
  • Island Man
    Island Man

" It's like saying someone was killed by a Colt 45 or a 22 shotgun. Who cares (besides the investigators?) The person is still dead. Why the WTBTS obsesses about stuff like this is beyond my capability to comprehend."

Can you imagined what could have happened if Jesus was shot dead?

JW: "It was a Colt 45, not a 22 shotgun. The 22 shotgun is of pagan origin!"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Thats why the WTS. created so much division between itself and Christendom, in showing they are the more truthful and

purer forms of godly worship that appeases god.

Most of what the WTS sets out is to a make dividing separation from mainstay Christendom with an intent to show

why they are better.

The truth of the matter is something quite different in reality.

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

First of all. Nobody knows.

Second of all. Who cares.

• Earnest
    Earnest

There was a thread some time back on a book by Gunnar Samuelsson entitled "Jesus did not die on the cross" which is well worth reading if you think the Bible says he did.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

The Jwfacts.com page is great. It shows how blatant the WTBTS is about picking and choosing what to show the sheeple. Then they scare the sheeple so they never question "the truth."

I agree that it does not really matter what the implement of torture and death looked like. Whatever it was, Christians should not worship it. The only real use for the cross is to repel the Elders at the KH. Wear one under your shirt and they will feel very uncomfortable around you. They may even avoid you after the meeting!

DD

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

I never was a fan of the cross, because of the argument that if your friend was shot but a gun, you really would want that instrument as a jewelry piece to wear around your neck.

The Reasoning book was really weak in providing a argument about the cross because the source they used was from a bious individual.

However, in recent times, a professor, Gunner Samuelson has researched the subject, and he favours the stake as Jesus' form of execution. I have also read over that thread of Leola, and appreciate her deep research, and explanation.

The bottom line is, who knows for sure? We weren't there. Who really should care? Should we really wear it on our necks?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit