The question of the crucifix.

by quellycatface 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Why do the JW's insist that Jesus was crucified on a stake?? The practice by the Romans back in that time was to use a cross. I've even heard of some witnesses say it was due to "lack of wood."

• Comatose
    Comatose

To be different. Thats all it was.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

At the 2 day Assembly this past week there was a demo involving a sister with her Bible student. The student had a cross which was a pricey heirloom from her grandma.

The demo consisted of two versions. One where the sister openly told her student to get rid of it. The other where the sister had Acts 19:19 read, and then asked her student what she should do with it.

As I watched it, I wondered how the demo would have looked if the student told the sister she had a pricey necklace with a watchtower symbol on it, given to her by her JW grandma.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Cults insist on introducing weird new teachings to assimilate people. This separates them from 'the world' otherwise known as everyone they like and love. Then there is no way back or so they think.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Bobcat, call me stupid but I read Acts 19:19 and I can't see the connection. The Cross is the symbol of Christianity isn't it?

Anyways, I always used to wear one before being a dub and now I'm out, I gotta a new one. All shiny with little red stones in it. So there WatchTards!!!

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Frankly, it's all about "debates about words" (1 Tim 1:3,4)

Whether Christ was executed on a cross or on a stake has absolutely no bearing on anything. I gave up on caring about that. That he was resurrected and his blood covers sins are the more important things to focus on. It's like saying someone was killed by a Colt 45 or a 22 shotgun. Who cares (besides the investigators?) The person is still dead. Why the WTBTS obsesses about stuff like this is beyond my capability to comprehend.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/92381/1/The-facts-on-crucifixion-stauros-and-the-torture-stake#.UxS44uN_sl8

This thread by the great Leolaia says it all .....in some detail so give it the time it deserves

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There are so many pressing matters. What does it matter whether it was a cross or a stake? For the vast majority of Christians, the important defining issue is that Jesus is God. Not an angel. Salvation theories matter. Paul's concept of grace. Cross or stake? What color was his underwear? Were his feet clean? The WT tries to make itself sound authoritative by lecturing about cross vs. stake and other utterly trivial issues. Paul spoke of the folly of the cross. The important thing is that Christ was executed by Roman authority.

Oh, the Virgin Mary was present in her Virgin Mary blue dress. My neighbor had a necklace with a piece of the dress in it.

The sad thing is that there was no Internet when I was young. All their trivial issues bolstered their authority. It scares me that any Witnesses remain. Well, how many would remain if there were no shunning. I used to wail to my mom that we should leave. She always responded that we would lose family members. Free will? Coerced will.

I always hated it. Yet I see all these happy faces.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I started wearing a cross to attract available Protestant men. It felt odd after the Witnesses. My first cross was a replica from the Metropolitan Museum of Art. It was from the Middle Ages. The problem was I could not afford the gold version. I had problems affording the faux gold. It remains my favorite. The gold fled the cross. The Museum no longer manufactures it.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I wondered how the demo would have looked if the student told the sister she had a pricey necklace with a watchtower symbol on it, given to her by her JW grandma.

About 15 years ago a fad started up at my hall where some of the brothers began wearing Watchtower pins (near replicas of the magazine logo) that were sold through a third-party company that sold field service supplies, you know, the type of place that would print catalogues and sell magazine covers, book bags, return visit organizers, that kind of thing. They're probably online now for all I know.

I pissed a few of them off by telling them that I saw no difference between a Christian wearing a crucifix and a Witness wearing a Watchtower pin on his lapel. One of them became defiant and started displaying them more prominently and buying them as gifts for elders. To the extent that there were rebuttals, they were distinctions without a difference or non-sequitirs. "This is a pin, not a pendant on a necklace." "We don't hang it on our wall and idolize it." "Jesus didn't really die on a cross."

I finally gave up and kept my mouth shut. Even back then it bothered me that these men were incapable of thinking for themselves and seeing the obvious connection. All that mattered was that there hadn't been an article from the society saying such things were unacceptable. If memory serves, the fad sort of died out on its own.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit