Hell or no hell

by never a jw 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

The cross was on the cover of the WT until 1931 and not discussed as "pagan" until 1936.

*** yb75 pp. 148-149 Part 2—United States of America ***

Concerning the wearing of “cross and crown pins,” Lily R. Parnell comments: “This to Brother Rutherford’s mind was Babylonish and should be discontinued. He told us that when we went to the people’s homes and began to talk, that was the witness in itself.” Accordingly, reflecting on the 1928 Bible Students convention in Detroit, Michigan, Brother Suiter writes: “At the assembly the cross and crown emblems were shown to be not only unnecessary but objectionable. So we discarded these items of jewelry.” Some three years thereafter, beginning with its issue of October 15, 1931, The Watchtower no longer bore the cross and crown symbol on its cover.

A few years later Jehovah’s people first learned that Jesus Christ did not die on a T-shaped cross. On January 31, 1936, Brother Rutherford released to the Brooklyn Bethel family the new book Riches.Scripturally, it said, in part, on page 27: “Jesus was crucified, not on a cross of wood, such as is exhibited in many images and pictures, and which images are made and exhibited by men; Jesus was crucified by nailing his body to a tree.”

As to "hell" an exact definition has to be given before you can answer, who believes in hell; a fiery hell where people are tortured forever, then many religions don't believe that.

http://christianity.about.com/od/denominationscomparison/ss/comparebeliefs2_8.htm

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Hell is other people.

Dante.

• cofty
    cofty

Marking so I can come back and rant about the sick, twisted, evil, masochistic, dehumanising dogma of eternal torment when I get a minute.

Christians who believe in hell do not love god. They have a bad case of Stockholme Syndrome.

By the way, the rich man and Laz parable was an already-existing Rabinical story that Jesus simply used for his own purpose. It's in Josephus. If I referred to "the boy who cried wolf" it would not prove I think he really existed.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I prepared an answer for everyone, but towards the end I decided to correct something by pressing the left arrow to go to the part needing correction. Damn it, I ended up in another website that talks about big cats. I try to come back to my comment and it was GONE. I hate when that happens, especially considering that I only used four fingers to type. I will prepare something later again.

Thanks everyone.

I just want to point out that my interest is mainly to determine what is the most possible meaning that the writers of the Bible ascribed to the 4 words that are used to refer to the afterlife.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Hell or no hell?

Hell no.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Just a friendly tip, when writing a long post I always copy-paste it periodically into a text editor so the text is "backed up" somewhere in case my browser does something stupid; especially because on this particular forum, I sometimes end up navigating forward or back a page by accident when trying to select text with the keyboard.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Sorry if I "harshed your mellow," never_a_jw.

I was raised a JW from the age of 7-ish, was a pioneer and a Ministerial Servant in my congregation and gave the 1 hour public talk on Sunday. Then my brains kicked in; today I'm an atheist and hold no fondness for parasitic metaphysicians.

...but I can speak JW if the situation demands it. Perhaps this is one such occasion, eh?

• kaik
    kaik

I believe in existence of hell. I see its a personal exclusion from God's love. I am not sure if the hell burns or not, and I have doubt that eternal torments matches divine justice.

• jam
    jam

I thought this was a brilliant quote, "God does not send people

to hell because they never heard of Christ. He sends people to

hell because they have sinned." Say what, LOL.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

LOL, there is always lots of information about every subject... on older threads:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/71230/1/Gehenna

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/99927/1/Hell-is-it-a-biblical-teaching-after-all

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/227759/3/How-many-ex-jws-poster-here-now-believe-in-Hellfire-immortality-of-soul-trinity-etc3b

But really, the Bible writers knew no more than we know today about any possible afterlife... it's just that if they didn't know something, instead of just saying 'We don't know'- they made crap up, and now we foolish people call it the 'The Word of God'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit