Back to study next week-Started reading Matthew's gospel

by fulltimestudent 18 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I'm looking forward to next week. Even though, I'm enrolled this semester as an external student, (just to make it easier to go to China during the semester), I'm allowed to attend on-campus lectures and tutorials.

I've just downloaded the Unit guides and everything fits in well with my planned China visit, this unit is at 200 level, so its an easier assignment load (just 3500 words in two asssignments) and both due before my planned dates to visit China. And the exam will be at least two weeks after I get back.

Oh! and a full 15 marks for participation in tutorials. That's an easy 15 marks, as I do well at participation in tutes. (Grin- easy stuff after 40 years as a witness). Not clear yet, whether there will be a web-based discussion group, I hope so, as these provide a great opportunity to try out ideas that can be 'peer' critqued in discussions. Wonderful !

Ah! Yes, can use any bible except the KJV. I will probably use a few. Incidentally, I once asked this lecturer, if he had examined the NWT, and he responded that he thought it was a "lively" translation. Not sure about that, as I think Freddy's wording can be rather turgid.

Anyway, for anyone interested, here's the Lecturer's overview at Macquarie U. http://www.mq.edu.au/about_us/faculties_and_departments/faculty_of_arts/department_of_ancient_history/staff/dr_chris_forbes/

I've bought one of the course's textbooks, Achtemeier, Green, Thompson's, Introducing the New Testament, Its Literature and Theology. Nothing extremely interesting yet. The other text's not in stock yet. Sigh!!. I also plan on giving Vermes', Christian Beginnings, a good going over, particularly when we get to Acts.

So I've started reading Matthew, as the course requires weekly readings ( haha! ministry school memories).

What else - nothing very special about this, but I plan to visit the city of Quanzhou (in south China) during my visit. Why? Among other things, it has the last surviving (known) Manichean Temple in the world. Mani gave Jesus a run for his money and became a famous missionary religion. Scholars from Macquarie U followed some local leads and found the temple (in use as a Buddhist temple). You can read about it at: http://www.mq.edu.au/research/centres_and_groups/ancient_cultures_research_centre/research/cultural_ex_silkroad/zayton/

Note: I believe the exterior may have a modern refurbishment but some of the interior is intact.

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

I'm sorry but you are very annoying. I've just started reading your post yesterday and you are easily the most irritating human being I've ever encourted on an internet forum.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I know the concept of self-enrichment is foreign and anathemic to you, SM, but fts is enjoying life and using his mind!

Strange that the instructor would call NWT "lively", I wonder if he was thinking of the right one.

• AFRIKANMAN
    AFRIKANMAN

Actually Space Madness I thought the same of you.

Please do not infect the forum with the attitudes and demeanour that we are fleeing from in the borg.

If life is not that pleasant right now ...YOU and only YOU can be the change .....or change Tampon brands !

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks FTS, I look forward to your take on Matthew after you have completed your study of it. I also am fascinated by China, and hope to visit some day.

Keep us posted, my friend.

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

Even though you're a U of S man, good luck with your studies this term, FTS!

I'm an alumnus of UNSW, myself.

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Good for you. Some people need to do the hard thinking for us. Thanks for that!!

• Giordano
    Giordano

Looking forward to hearing about your trip to China!

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Thanks everyone, for your encouragement to keep studying. I do admit to fleshly weakness sometimes, and wonder what the bloody hell I'm doing at near 80, having anxiety fits over my current essay, or something. Then I think of the alternative - watching the wasteland of Aussie daytime TV and quickly hurry back to my books -- wide grin.

Apognophos:

Strange that the instructor would call NWT "lively", I wonder if he was thinking of the right one.

In the context of the statement he made, I have no doubt that he meant the NWT as published by the WTS.

Here's how it came about. In a tutorial on Macabees, something came up about 'strange' religious statements, and he related what he claimed as his most bizarre experience.

He told of how, years before, an elderly man approached him, stuffed a leaflet into his hand and said, "The vultures are breeding, the end is coming."

And Chris (Forbes, the Lecturer) went on to say he had never been able to understand what it was about, or what religion it was.

I knew straight away that it was our former (loving) brothers and sisters. Many years ago, a rumour swept through the witnesses in Australia (unsure about other countries), that all over the world, vultures were laying more eggs, in preparation for Armageddon. (I did not believe it - cross my heart - it was such a stupid statement). So I commented, "that was a nervous JW engaged in street witnessing." He was a bit taken aback at my comment, and spoke to me after the tute finished. I told him I'd been a witness and of the rumour, and he told me he had an ex-witness as a Ph.d student, but that she had all kinds of emotional difficulties. We then went on to briefly discuss the NWT.

So yeah! that was his opinion of the NWT. But remember, translating is dam hard. Languages do not always have direct equivalents for words, so a scholar who deals in words may approach Bible translations from a different perspective to the casual reader. BTW, in case anyone wonders about Chris Forbes, he is a Christian believer.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, interesting. Nice that you were able to explain his most bizarre experience to him, like Daniel to Nebuchadnezzar. We JWs and former JWs have a little window into a bizarre world that most don't know anything about, isn't that fun?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit