Back to study next week-Started reading Matthew's gospel

by fulltimestudent 18 Replies latest jw friends

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Tiktaalik:

Even though you're a U of S man, good luck with your studies this term, FTS!

I'm an alumnus of UNSW, myself.

In what field did you study at UNSW, T?

Judging from comments on this site, a lot of XJWs have completed degrees. Poor old Yahweh must be getting a bit upset about it.

--------------

And, (just for the record) I'm actually enrolled at Macquarie U, not Sydney. But I take study units at SU, under the cross-institutional arrangement - which is rather cool.

I had no experience of tertiary study when I started, I was really very ignorant of procedures. And, you must apply through the Universities Admission Centre so I applied for a place at either SU and MU. Never heard from SU, but was offered a place at MU. So I went to MU.

MU does not offer as many Asian study units as SU, so I extended my interests into Ancient history units that focussed on Asia. Then I found I could also study at SU under the above arrangement.

So that's why, sometimes I'm at SU and sometimes at MU. Both Universities have their own advantages.

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Space Madness:

I'm sorry but you are very annoying. I've just started reading your post yesterday and you are easily the most irritating human being I've ever encourted on an internet forum.

Yup, I know! I've been told that before, but usually someone adds the 'c' word onto the end of the expression, as in: "You're an annoying old c**t." So, SM you turn out to be quite discerning (smile).

I hope you keep you keep building on your ability to discern things correctly. May I offer you some advice from the words of Zheng Yi, a Chinese 'shengren' who lived about 1000 years ago:

"A student," he taught, "must first of all learn to doubt." ( from his Wai-shu 11:2b).

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Phizzy:

Thanks FTS, I look forward to your take on Matthew after you have completed your study of it.

I'm not sure how comprehensive our coverage of Matthew is going to be. To cover the NT in a semester we have to average two books per week. Some are short and can be grouped, but I'm still thinking each of the gospels may only get a week. One area I hope to focus on, is the diatribe of Jesus against the Pharisees. Really like to understand that in its context.

I also am fascinated by China, and hope to visit some day.

It's really fascinating. The 20th C was a bit crowded with activity, but I'm guessing that the 22nd C will look back and see the re-organisation of China as the foremost event of the 20th C.

So when you get to go - I know you'll enjoy your visit.

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

What are you some type of Liberial arts major? [Removed, guideline 1 - jgnat. Space Madness, you can take this up with me in PM if you so desire].

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

jgnat.

I have no problems with the young man's comments (that have been removed)

fts

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

If you read my comments before they were removed fulltiestudent feel free to answer the questions. So what is your major and what do you plan on doing after you finish school?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

SM

If you read my comments before they were removed fulltiestudent feel free to answer the questions. So what is your major and what do you plan on doing after you finish school?

What is my major?

To explain that, you can read my post 1337 above, which backgrounds how I came to be at Macquarie University**.

My major has to be Ancient History (a field in which MU has an excellent reputation), which is not what I wanted, but since the University does not have a comprehensive Asian studies degree (maybe due to the personal prejudices of the (then) American Vice Chancellor), I have to rort the system. And I rort the system by only taking AH study units that involve Asian history - which is OK too, because west Asia is a major part of the known early history of human organisation, and by attending another University (Sydney U) for greater access to Modern Asian history.

I already have accumulated enough credit points to graduate, but there are more study units I'd like to take and the MU admin says I can take them, so I'm doing that.

I will have, when I'm finished a very wide and in-depth understanding of the historical and thought processes that have created modern Asia.

BTW, I noted (I think) some hostility toward some higher education in your comment:

What are you some type of Liberial arts major? (and other comments)

Cant speak for the USA (if that's where you live) - but a good Arts degree in Aussieland will prepare you for a career where reasoning things out by a process of questioning and analysing information and (quoting from my current unit guide) to:

"... integrate and synthesis learning and knowledge from a range of sources and environments ... to be able to think independently and systematically in relation to scholarship and in the workplace and in the world."

is neccessary and vital.

Wish I'd been able to do that before I became a witness.

What do I plan to do after I graduate?

Good question. My first thought on reading your post was to be facetious and respond by telling you, that I planned to be a high-priced gigolo, charging hundreds of dollars per hour to accompany wealthy widows to society events , entertaining them with my erudite knowledge and charming them with my stories and making them the envy of their friends.

The reality is more mundance.

Actually, I do not need to work, I'm near 80. A university degree was a retirement project if you like. But I am passionate about my field of study.

Our government has been saying that Australians need to develop a deeper understanding of Asia. I'd like to develop a course to do just that at a community college level (bit late for me to do that in conventional Universities. If I went on to seek a doctorate, I'd probably die the day before I handed in my finished thesis. An alternative, I'm considering is developing a seminar style, one day conference, for business, to force senior people to re-orient their thinking on Asia.

Also, I currently have an offer to go back to my old career, in a new design collective - my field would be services design and project management.

Or, I could just sit on my bum and wait to die (ho-hum).

Is that more than you need to know???????

----------------------

** My decision to go to university was the result of being friends with a Lecturer at another University. He first suggested it, and since I had when I was young wanted to go to University, ( a desire aborted when I became a witness, and being told I would be able to be taught by the Yahweh/Jesus combo in the paradise), it wasn't so hard to decide to do that - especially so when it would really cost me nothing (government finance is available).

I'd been following the rise of China since before I became a witness, and view the disintegration of the Chinese polity as the key process of the 19th C, and the re-organisation of China as the key process of the 21st C. ( Some doubt that, but the PRC is the latest manifestation of something that is 3500 + years old. where else do you see this?

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Aognophos:

We JWs and former JWs have a little window into a bizarre world that most don't know anything about, isn't that fun?

Oh! sh*t ... it's heaps of fun. :(

Sorry mate - just in a funny mood this morning - its pissing down rain and its my turn to do the washing.

Your right, bizarre is a great word to describe our shared past.

• fulltimestudent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit