Why the "worldly" thought of heaven is more comforting than Paradise

by kneehighmiah 15 Replies latest jw friends

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

One of the worst and best things about waking up is realizing that despite what you've been taught as a child, you are going to die one day. That was EASY for me to handle, as I've had near death medical emerigencies. The hardest part is the thought of losing your parents. They are just turning 60. To be honest, the thought of them dying from old age scares me. My grandparents are still alive, which is amazing, so hopefully my parents live long too. I know they didn't expect to still be in this system. I wonder what they're thinking, or if they're having doubts. We JWs are taught that the end will occur in our lifetime. Heck, we won't even have time to finish school. This means that people born into the JW religion often don't take the time to contemplate their mortality. Thankfully my parents were converts so they happen to be more open minded thinkers and have always encouraged me to plan for the future, retirement etc.

Whether you believe in heaven or not, I think it at least gives people something hopeful to look forward to while at the same time allowing them to responsibly accept the inevitability of death. And since you can't find out if heaven exists until you after die, you will never be disappointed! After all was that not what the book of Ecclesiastes is about? Live a meaningful life, because there is nothing you can do in Sheol? In contrast think of all the people who accepted the teaching that they would be in paradise before the generation of 1914 passed away. All the people who decided to not live their life because the end was near. They decided not to have children soley because they believed the end would come in a few years. Somehow we have told many people to believe that they won't die. To me that's the greatest lie. Sounds just like what the serpent told Eve.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I was at a Lutheran funeral some years ago, and the words of Paul made much more sense and impact when considered from that persepective.

• simon17
  • designs
    designs

I was at a Presbyterian funeral service for a friend. The pastor had him in heaven fishing and camping, his favorite dog was there. Pretty amazing.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I am a non believer but the idea of passing over or passing on is a tad more comfortable then passing away.

That armageddon business was such BS especially thinking about loony toon JW's in charge. Imagine being resurrected and what do you see but Brother Goodyshoes in a suit and name badge greeting you with a cheap Haz Met suit and a rake to help clean up the mess.

Dupont Tychem Tyve... $15.95 eBay

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Not sure what I belive these days but it did get harder and harder to picture myself in the new "loony toon JW's in charge" system.

I never pictured the badges (hillarious visual)

At least the Mormons eventually get their own planet.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I like the idea of my conciousness rejoining the universal energy grid. Perhaps I can still watch my family, or perhaps I will simply be the breeze that dries their tears.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I was quite drawn to the idea of a paradise earth, as I love nature. Heaven just didn't seem real, it was one of the reasons I was attracted to the dubs. Now I don't believe in either. It would be nice to think there is some kind of afterlife, but I just don't believe it. It has made me realize that I must make the most of my life now, there will be no do overs.

When you have a positive outlook and are open to new experiences and know what you want in your life, it's amazing what can happen. As a dub, I put off life, in expectation of the future, a future that never came. All you have in this life is the present moment, and that is all you will ever have. This change in focus, from worrying about the future, trying to please a demanding God, to living in the moment, seeing the beauty all around, and enjoying my friends and family has changed my life completely.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I realised the same when I left. JWs talk about others not having a hope, but actually heaven is a better hope. Dying and soul sleep is quite depressing compared to thinking that death is a doorway to immediate and better things.

• factfinder
    factfinder

I also felt the paradise earth hope was more realistic then going to heaven, a place for spirits. I have seen pictures of paradisaic surroundings that people now have and it seemed to make sense that the earth could one day be made like that.

All of my life I feared losing my beloved Mother in death, and that horrible time came in April 2000. I reread everything I could about the resurrection, but thinking I'd have to wait till towards the end of the 1.000 year reign, hundreds of years from now, to see my dear Mom, was very discouraging. And Armageddon never came, thus the new world and seeing my Mom again became further and further away. Not comforting at all. My Dad died in 2006 and I had realized that Armageddon and the new world will not come in my lifetime, if ever.

Then I discovered the tatt and lost faith in ever seeing my dear parents and other relatives ever again.

The witnesses told me when I began studying back in 1976 "you will always be a teenager' because the new world was so close and I would never grow old. Now I am 56 with no future to look forward to.

I have not been able to believe in an afterlife in heaven as there has never been any proof of it and the Bible teaches that when we die, that is it, we are dead, UNLESS Jehovah resurrects us, which I no longer believe he will do. (IF he exists).

I think those who DO believe in an afterlife in heaven feel comforted in their beleif but it is just not realistic to me. I wish it was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit