Why the "worldly" thought of heaven is more comforting than Paradise

by kneehighmiah 15 Replies latest jw friends

• prologos
    prologos

Strangely, none of these two propositions were ever a source of comfort to me, not in meditation nor in near - death situations.

The trouble with the earthly hope is , that it is so limiting. Even after having won the gold medals in ALL disciplines of the Winter and Summer olympics (or its 'New World' equivalent), and solved/filled all gaps in our knowledge, then what?

WT has also admitted that the Earth/Sun system can not last forever except perhaps through another macro 'Perfecting'.

both 'Hopes' if entertained too seriously, diminish fully grasping the Golden opportunity of the fleeting NOW.

so live and make it a WOW.

There is a special event starting tonight at sundown.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

i cant really fathom heaven. Then again i cant imagine a paradise earth that includes all animals loving one another either...but im open to considering anything and im fine not knowing. I think this whole "waiting for something better" thing paints even ourbrightest moments in life in a cynical light. I think it also takes away human dignity since each group, org, cult, religion think they know best....at least in some areas. So i like to imagine the future but im tired of ignoring the present.

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I think the most peoples belief in heaven allows them to focus on the present while still having hope for the future. It prevents despair. One psychologist and holocaust survivor desribed despair with an equation: despair=suffering-meaning. I think having a hope of something better helps people to get through difficult moments in life.

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

I agree...but "life is short" and "you only live once" may also motivate people not to sweat the small stuff...really each person has their own way of dealing and getting through in tough situations.....the problem is when you put forth your way as the ONLY way, without absolute proof of such.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Once I realized that I'd rather take an afterlife over a postapocalyptic WT-run "utopia" any day, I was pretty much 100% mentally out.

These days (knowing what I know now), I'll take oblivion over a postapocalyptic WT-run "utopia".

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

I think i agree there vidiot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit