An important question for active JW's

by Honesty 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

If you and a fellow Jehovah's Witness went to a house where the homeowner brought up a Watchtower doctrine which you secretly disagree with, would you defend it or tell them what it is you really believe?

Either way you are at a loss.

Defending something you disagree with is living a lie and telling a lie.

Not defending it and telling the home owner what you really believe makes you an apostate by Watchtower Society standards.

That's a pretty difficult situation to be in since you have another Jehovah's Witness with you who would probably stab you in the back and report back to base.

• Laika
    Laika

When I left the JWs I said to a couple that even if I was wrong that JWs don't have the truth then since I am required to lie to promote it I've got no chance of getting through Armageddon anyway. Never got a direct response to that...

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

It's a real tricky one, eh? Fortunately, I had been inactive for quite a few years, so never got asked any questions. I would, however find it hard to back the blood issue for instance, because I never really agreed with it.

• blondie
    blondie

Why not use the standard jw copout, "I need to research that and get back to you." Most jws never come back anyway. But you can come back alone and explain it. During the last year before I left I did not do anything but telephone witnessing by myself. And only called during the day...no one home. If your spouse is in your same position mentally, go with them, no backstabbing. Also, there are many times the group is an odd number and someone has to work by themselves; I always volunteered and no one disagreed, they were ecstatic they could stay with their service buddy.

• prologos
    prologos

You could gracefully hand the situation over to your service-companion, given that she/he is ( unbeknowns to them ) more 'qualified' to deal with that st icky WT teaching.

of course it is also the signal to not put yourself into such situations again, because by just walking the street, or guarding that cart, you advertise that your are "always read to defend your* faith"

*if it is THEIR faith, why defend it? it would be indefensible to do so.

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

Well Honesty. As an active witness it's not that hard really if you apply the honesty principle.

"Yes you are right, our management team has backtracked on quite a few doctrines".

Sometimes it's difficult to keep up with the latest revisions, but I'm here to encourage you

to look into your own bible to sift through the various doctrines out there and find one that

you are comfortable with or even if you're comfortable with the bible.

For example do you believe that humans may be ressurrected to

live on earth again?????? Do you think we will ever see global peace????

And away you go, chat for hours and share views and listen to each other ,,,,,,just converse

with fellow humans,,,,,,, if that makes me an apostate then let the spirit in the sky decide.

end of story

jtg

p.s. I put an elder fs partner on notice that if anyone should ask to explain the 'generation overlap'

concept I would immediately hand over to him as I would be unable to do so.

Resulted in an attempted 'shepherding call' that I explained would be inconvenient.

we all gotta do what we gotta do!!!!!!

that is the real way to go.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

We stopped turning in a service report last summer after the convention. Before that I had been actively researching our religion (we were both raised-in) and I was having doubts galore.

In hind-sight we were personally questioning things for a couple of years - and this was creeping into our conversations at the door. And we began the habit of just 'working' in service as a couple - no swapping out or going in different car groups.

We used to use all the stock responses to objections - cherry pick the scriptures and use plenty of Watchtowerisms. We were considered in the congregation to be good in field service - with plenty of positive return visit experiences.

I found myself 'listening' to the person - what they were really saying, what scriptures they were using as a basis for their belief. I also began to engage in real conversation - admitting that Jehovah's Witnesses don't have all the answers.

ginger

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

Dude who cares. Its a billion dollar corporation that destroys familys and launders real estate. Give it up.

• heavensgate11
    heavensgate11

The real way to go is how strong your faith in God is. If you question his inspired word and Christ as the Sheppard of the

Flock, then most of you are correct. There’s no need to kid yourselves. Only the true and faithful

And if you have true faith, don’t allow yourselves to be mislead. If you research the JW’s past remember,

Those witness of today started in 1931. Make the distinction between JW’s and IBSA of yesteryear not the deception

you find here at JWN

And follow: 16 maintain a good conscience, so that in whatever way you are spoken against, those who speak against you may be put to shame because of your good conduct as followers of Christ. 17 For it is better to suffer because you are doing good, if it is God’s will to allow it, than because you are doing evil

• alecholmesthedetective
    alecholmesthedetective

I met an active JW recently. I believe after our meeting he was able to see that there is a life after the WT. I didn't get any answers from him when it came to some questions, such as, 'why do have to pay for mythical Adam and Eve's supposed sin ages before we were born'. All he could tell me about the new promotion of the GB to FDS is that 'there is no contradiction' and obfuscate a little. He admitted, he believes 60%, sometimes 70% of 'new light'. I'll continue here available and willing to talk, providing a contrast to the WT's methods.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit