Real god name: Jehovah, Yahweh??

by Yaron777 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yaron777
    Yaron777

Hi!

I just today found this forum and read these discussion in here, some good stuff found, thanks. Reason why i'm here is, because one of my friend is Jehovah Witness, and we have discussed many things. I myself don't know very much about bible. I understand that New Testament teaches that Jesus is Lord, but i am confused because, my friend teaches me that Jesus is only lord, and Jehovah is real Lord, and i should use Jehovah name, which is real God name, Jesus doesn't enough. What is final truth, about these many names??

Should i call God Jehovah to get saved?

Also there are people, who says that God real name is Yahweh, and Jesus real name is Yahsua. Only that name there is salvation, that Jesus is pagan greek form coming from Zeus greek god.

What is final truth, about these many names??

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

THe truth is NO ONE knows how God's Name is pronounced. Many scholars seem to think Yahweh might be close, but are SURE that JEHOVAH is NOT how it's pronounced.

WHY must you use God's personal name in prayer? Doesn't God Know when we're praying to him if we don't use his name? How did Jesus teach us to pray? Was it "Jehovah, who is in heaven..." or did he say "Our FATHER, who is in heaven..."

Jesus is the name that came to us through Greek and then Latin, in Hebrew it was closer to Yashua or Yehosua.

Welcome to the Board.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Will Power
    Will Power

Don't forget that the actual meaning of 'hovah is mischief.
    (strong's word # 1943)
    Put that with Jah you get god of mischief.

• Bang
    Bang

Should i call God Jehovah to get saved?

Could you honestly believe within yourself that it would do the trick?

---------------------------
    A housekeeper asked about God, and a JW said "He loves and rewards us forever if we observe His commandments."
    "IF", said the housekeeper, "Then your news isn't all that good, is it?" [de Mello]

The JW went on to scratch out his life of WT service, but God didn't turn out to be who he was told - and then he heard the story of the stolen eagle egg.
    One day an eagle egg was taken by a hungry wanderer, then left at a farm he was passing, and the eagle grew and scratched about and lived just like the chooks, fluttering a few yards now and then. Then one day later in life the eagle saw a bird soaring high in the sky, and some chooks told him - they're eagles, but they didn't personally know any eagles. Anyway, the eagle lived on as he had, without ever knowing different.

Bang

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Why is there ALWAYS so much debating and arguing over weather or not we should call God by his name?
    And what his name should or shouldn't be?

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

• Will Power
    Will Power

Because the WT wants to make sure that you worship the god that they have created by their interpretation* of the few scriptures that they picked to BASE their whole theology on.

If they convince you that these specific characteristics and histories and peculiarities ARE god then you do not have anywhere else to go because by using fear of failure they make a public verbal contract with you to uphold and teach others paragraph #1.

*interpretation: subject to change without notice

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

Good point, Will Power!

To Yaron777,
    There is some excellent information at:
    . http://www.eliyah.com/index.html

• Justin
    Justin

As to the theory that "Jesus" is taken from the name of the Greek god Zeus: In actuality, "Jesus" is the Greek Insous (pronounce "Yee-soos") and is found in the Greek version of the Old Testament (the Septuagint) for Joshua. In Hebrew, Joshua is Yehoshua (which came to be shortened as Yeshua). So the short of it is that Jesus is the Greek Joshua, and can be derived directly from the Greek Old Testament.

• Will Power
    Will Power

So since jehovah is a name greater & more powerful than yeshua (no scripture to apply) there must be an equally authentic biblical translation for how this particular name, spelling etc came about.

I do recall a MARJORIE parallel that seemed to explain it very well.
    That was a good post!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

So will the REAL Jehovah please stand up?

Catholics use the name Jehovah and it is not the same Jehovah the witnessess use

I have heard other religions use the name Jehovah also.
    I have an aunt who is Baptist who uses the name Jehovah.

http://ourworld.cs.com/pwmkwzy/home.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit