Real god name: Jehovah, Yahweh??

by Yaron777 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

The most bizarre thing is the WTBTS teaching that some form of the divine name was used in the New Testament but disappeared from ALL extant copies. They also simultaneously teach that their god protected the bible from any copying errors or deliberate modifications. Why he allowed all trace of his all-important name to be removed from the earliest surviving manuscripts is never discussed.

--
    But if you pray all your sins are hooked upon the sky
    Pray and the heathen lie will disappear
    Prayers they hide the saddest view
    (Believing the strangest things, loving the alien)
    -- David Bowie, Loving The Alien

• accuracy
    accuracy

TheOldHippie is correct that some modern research tends toward a 3-syllable pronunciation for YHWH. The article written by George Wesley Buchanan, Professor Emeritus, Wesley Theological Seminary, in Biblical Archaeology Review, April 1995, comes to mind.

Many scholarly works also admit, as does the prestigious Anchor Bible Dictionary, that the pronunciation "Yahweh" is just a supposition, not a fact.

It is not true, as some suggest, that the Hebrew letters YHWH can be pronounced just any old way. Ancient Hebrew, like Modern Israeli Hebrew, was written without vowels, but certain combinations of letters had a standard way of being pronounced and understood. And for those who would deny that Modern Israeli Hebrew is NOT written without vowels, I suggest that you pull up the website of the Israeli newspaper Ha'aretz ( http://www.haaretz.co.il), which is printed in unvowelled Hebrew, which is easily read and understood by modern Jews.

The point is that when Hebrew was and is a living language, vowels are not needed to get at the correct pronunciation of words.

The medieval Hebrew scholar Maimonides in his Moreh Nevukim, or "Guide to the Perplexed," stated that anciently, the Divine Name was pronounced "as it was spelled." No vowels were necessary, since the letters H and W, as medial (not final) letters, would serve as "vowels" and would have to be pronounced in a certain way.

With that bit of wisdom, we come to a 3-syllable pronunciation for YHWH.

It is strange that those who would pronounce or interpret "Jesus" as coming from "Yehoshua" from the first part of the Divine Name, i.e., the YH-, have problems with Yehowah. If you accept "Yehoshua," then "Yehowah" is from the exact same pattern.

Also, the name "Jehovah" has nothing to do with "hovah" ("destruction"), since the two terms come from two completely different Hebrew roots. Those who make such a connection are arguing from an ignorance of the Hebrew language. The name "Jehovah" (Yehowah) is from "Hayah" (more anciently, "Hawah"), meaning "to be; to exist." The Hebrew Bible itself makes this connection at Exodus 3:14, 15.

It is further incorrect to say that the Name does not appear in New Testament, since Revelation 19 has Yah, the short form of YHWH, in the expression "Hallelu-Yah!"

• no one
    no one

I am in agreement w/Yerasalyim's and ChristianObserver's statements quoted below:

How did Jesus teach us to pray? Was it "Jehovah, who is in heaven..." or did he say "Our FATHER, who is in heaven..."
    In considering the beginning of the Lord's prayer, 'Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name', why is the actual name of God omitted? If Jesus had used that name, wouldn't it have been preserved in the oral tradition of the Lord's prayer if not in the texts? Wasn't this an ideal opportunity for the name of God to be 'called upon'?
    Each time that Christ prayed or his conversation was directed toward God in the 4 gospels, he always used Father. At his execution, it was 'Eli, Eli...', and finally at John 20:17-- 'I am ascending to my Father and your Father and my God and your God.'
  • thewiz
    thewiz

So If I, me personally were to address my own flesh and blood Father would I call him by his first name or name? Or would I use a more proper "term" to demonstrate relationship or endearment or even status?

I.e. Dad, Father, Poppa, etc.

OK, so in that context would the people then around me address my father as Dad, Father, Pops, Poppa, etc. or would/should they have sense enough to replace the realtionship term I use when speaking of my own Father, with my Father's name?

• Bleep
    Bleep

My name is george, and it is pronounced gayorg in german. I was told Jehovah is God in English. Anyone else have an idea of what Gods name could be in English? He is my friend and i want to know.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Bible says you call God Father
    Abba Father!
    WT says not to call anyone Father, but Father God.

One True God needs no distinction unless you are claiming a different one true god. Those not close to God need a name because terms of endearment are foreign.

If Father God, then you are a child of God, then heir as the bible says.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit