Special Assembly Day - tepid applause

by sir82 33 Replies latest jw friends

• linuxbob
    linuxbob

I never had or will ever applause at an assembly.

• steve2
    steve2

That wasn't applause; that was the undignified and smelly sound of 1300 souls collectively roundly deflating.....

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Hopefully, hissing and booing will start. That would be more appropriate every time they release a new doctrine that further encroaches on freedoms, become stricter on things like pious-sneering, further nurf the fun, or that are damaging to society. Or the experiences--every time they mention poverty in exchange for pious-sneering, a nice round of hissing and booing would be appropriate.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Your observation about the volume of applause I think speaks volumes ! (was that a pun ?)

This shows that there is an underlying lack of enthusiasm, the whole thing is becoming a drudge for most JW's.

When I was young, back in the mists of time, the applause at District Conventions was loud and long. Us kids used to play a game where you scored 10 points if you could start a spontaneous round of applause, and one point if you wer the last to stop clapping.

The 10 pointer took skill and courage, and had the disadvantage that you actually had to listen, because you had to pick a point that was worthy of applause, and then you had to go out on your own and start loudly clapping, and if parents were aware you were simply having fun, taking the piss really, you got a clout round the head, and couldn't play the game anymore.

I think even 10 years ago the clapping at the C.A's and SAD's was a tad muted, but nothing like as perfunctory as you describe.

Perhaps there will be a few more slowing down , and eventually leaving, as the crushing boredom does its work.

• stillin
    stillin

I went to SAD this past weekend also. Same tepid applause. I think 8 were baptized. It could be me, but It used to be easy to meet people and talk about anything I wanted to talk about. Now there seem to be more cliques and people moving. Lots of people went out for lunch, which used to be frowned on. Maybe they just needed some fresh air.

• Gayle
    Gayle

Sounds like even the two, 1-day Circuit Assemblies (starting 2015) will be in trouble soon enough, downsized to zap. Seeing how baptisms are dropping, not very inspiring to see.

• gingerbread
    gingerbread

Over the years the WT leaders have taken away what little bit of fun/joy/emotion that could be shared.

We used to have small orchestras or bands play the songs at conventions and most halls had a piano and a player.

We had parties for those that were baptized or gave their first talk.

We had large congregation (or multi-congregation) 'get togethers' with hamburgers and baseball.

We had 'book studies' in homes with snacks (and beer/wine) afterward. We played tag in the back yards or caught lighting bugs. We had our first crushes there too.

We looked forward to conventions and assemblies to look for someone to date (and they weren't crazy, homeschooled, JW rules worshipers).

We used to be able to hold hands and hug our spouse (or boyfriend/girlfriend) during the prayer.

The energy is now all gone.

Most that regularly attend meetings & assemblies are aged - and have heard this stuff a thousand times.... bored. Alone.

ginger

• subytrek
    subytrek

That's what I noticed too. Over time, all the fun has been removed from the org. I used to enjoy the goodie nights after book study. And it was more informal and relaxed. We had cong. picnics too which were fun. Now it's all about how much time are you putting in service. Everything is a chore and there is nothing to look forward to. The last big assembly I went to was the annual meeting which had a lot of applause so I will have to see how the circuit assembly goes this year; if the applause is less.

• rocketman
    rocketman

I've been at assemblies at which one person was baptized. So let's do the math:

You said 1300 were there. Now let's allow for an average hours/month per publisher of 5, despite the fact that they encourage 10 hours per month. We'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say 5.

1300 x 5 = 6,500

Now, since there are two assemblies per year (plus the convention) and it takes around six months to study with someone to the point where they become a Witness (assuming this person was found door-to-door and was not born-in), we mulitply the 6,500 by 6:

6,500 x 6 =39,000

So that's 39,000 hours of Field Service to produce one JW. Not very efficient.

If the person was born-in and just took forever to get baptized, then those 39,000 hour produced 0 JWs.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

LOL I've seen baptism talks at assemblies with nobody getting baptised in a circuit of about 1000 or so. Talk about an awkward talk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit