Special Assembly Day - tepid applause

by sir82 33 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Just got back from a recent SAD.

After most talks, the applause was, at most, tepid.

It was striking in its tepidity, if that is possible (and if that is a word).

Affter most talks, applause lasted literally no more than 5 seconds. Its volume was scarcely above a whisper.

It wasn't acoustics - the Bethel speaker was technically a polished speaker (although presenting the same old boring info), and his talks generated noticeably louder applause. But even still - that applause was maybe 10 seconds, and about normal-conversation level.

But local speakers - the applause was not much more loud than the hum coming from your refrigerator.

There were 1300+ people there.

It was just so weird - my previous large-group experience was at the AGM, where people were nearly apoplectic & drooling with delight over their new "silver Bibles" (which very few have read, I'd wager).

These guys were just "zombified".

Speaking of Bibles - Bethel dude called it a "platinum Bible".

Oh, by the way - 1 guy baptized. Looked about middle-aged.

1300 in attendance - 1 baptized.

The talk was really awkward. The speaker kept referring to "our baptismal candidate" (singular - not plural). It really stood out and just emphasized the pathetic-ness of the situation. Then the poor guy had to stand up all alone and shout out his answers to the "2 questions".

• whathappened
    whathappened

Wow...only one baptised...that is great...but it is also one too many!

• designs
    designs

How'd he feel being the only person in the Hall in surf trunks :D

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I remember that the last talk of every assembly was always given by a total applause whore, who would say something 'profound' every couple of minutes, and then pause long enough for people in the audience to realize that they were supposed to applaud. That's why the last talk always went over time at least 15 minutes.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Reminds me a little of watching my Broncos play in the superbowl - nothing to get excited about - just wishing for whiskey to kill the pain of it all. The man cave remained still and silent except for the occasional moan of despair and the desire for it all to end so we could do something else and forget it ever happened.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

One of the last SAD's I visited had NO baptism! Now that was awkward!

• Londo111
    Londo111

...and there was much rejoicing. (yaaaaaaaay)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I remember that the last talk of every assembly was always given by a total applause whore, who would say something 'profound'

every couple of minutes,and then pause long enough for people in the audience to realize that they were supposed to applaud.....keyser soze

............If your Loyal to the WBT$..

...Jehovah Will Give You More Chickens!..

....http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/3712571/clapping-seal-o.gif

...............................................................................................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• pontoon
    pontoon

Outlaw, funny but more true than funny. If they put a guy on the stage with a applause sign to hold up at predetermined times no doubt the audience would take the que and talk about what a great idea and improvement it is by unifying the friends in their show of appreciation for the fine banquet of spiiritual food.

• steve2
    steve2

I declare the one baptismal candidate to be an attention-seeking exhibitionist. How disgusting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit