Bizarre comment about jw.org at SAD

by sir82 76 Replies latest jw friends

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

Once again Blondie is correct. It's something that isn't widely publiczied but organizations can in fact pay Google to make sure their site shows up a top hit when searching. This is actually separate from the ads that often appear at the top of the results (which are marked as ads). So yes, it's quite possible that WT did pay for this in addition to the standard SEO stuff that everyone now does.

edit: JWFacts, Chrome is not the google search engine. The omnibar does save all that stuff, but the speaker was referring going to google.com itself and using the search engine.

• RottenRiley
    RottenRiley

You all remember "Deep Horizon"? The Biggest Oil Spill and Accident near United States Soil? BP paid Google $25 Million to refine any search relating to the accident.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/37574169/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

http://www.examiner.com/article/bp-buys-google-yahoo-search-words-is-it-to-keep-people-from-real-news-on-gulf-oil-spill-disaster

Examples were:

"Deep Horizon Oil Spill Horror" Google say's "See how British Petroleum is making the Gulf Ports better than before the accident"

Type in Gulf Spill and Google's Search Machine provided you with BP friendly links showing a friendly worker cleaning off a seal or bird.

"BP Ruined the Gulf Economy" the first twenty links were "BP pours $5 Billion in to the Gulf and Port cities".

Did the Watchtower pay Google to do this refined search enhancement, I am willing to bet they did!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Simple. Type JW. into a search engine, it will complete the domain for you. Since the washtowel has the jw.org domain bought, that is the only one that comes up. If you omit the period and just type jw , it will return other results such as jwfacts or jwdiscussion. This is the way these search engines work, and anyone claiming to have a tie with these engines or that joke-hova provided for this arrangement is simply ignorant or an idiot.

Not to mention, their official web site has more material that ruins the organization, to anyone willing to think, than any apostate site. Every time they make a major change in doctrine which doesn't make sense or create a doctrine that is much more confusing than it needs to be, they are raising questions. And anyone with half a brain and who is willing to use it should see that absolute obedience to the leaders is a red flag. What if the leaders are wrong? I could lead everyone into damnation if I am wrong about something and insist that everyone need follow my errant advice in lieu of doing their own research. And if they are doing it on purpose, which I believe they are, lives are going to be wasted and souls are going to be damned. The official site has more "Obey the leaders at any cost" directives than any apostate site, and that should wake up anyone not afraid of checking out that their belief may be errant.

After all, isn't it right in their own LIE-ble that cowards are among those who are damned?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Such BS.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Such BS.

• besty
    besty

my 0.02 (13 years experience working on 'something to do with the Internet')

1 - Typing "jw." will autocomplete to jw.org in google.com. Unfortunately for the WTS typing "jw" autocompletes for 'jw pepper'. Thats why they are making the big deal about the period. https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/106230?hl=en On google.co.uk "jw" autocompletes for "jw3" leading to jw3.org.uk - again "jw." autocompletes for jw.org.

2 - There is a slight nuance if you look closely. Type "jw." (don't hit enter) and it will autocomplete for jw.org and also display the Results Page with jw.org listed first. The second result shown is for jwleaks.org and then jwsurvey.org. Its only when you hit enter you will see jwpepper.com, jwpet.com etc. So every person typing "jw." and then looking down into the Results will be visually exposed to apostate sites. Dangerous this internet thing.

3 - The WTS don't need to and will not have paid Google anything for the above. jw.org is already the number 1 entry on the Results Page (beating jwpepper.com into 2nd place on google.com and jackwills.com on google.co.uk). Note the difference between SERP (Search Engine Results Page) and autocomplete.

4 - The WTS may indeed have had an advisory conversation with Google - you can too - just call them up and ask how to get your site listed - 1-866-2GOOGLE - they will try and sell you ad-space of course, but you can tell everybody you "talked to Google about your site placement". <wink wink>

I would expect in time that "jw" without the period will autocomplete to jw.org on most Google properties - jw.org is an extremely large site with high traffic and thats only going to grow as the WTS funnels more visitors towards it. The speaker at the SAD has been misinformed if he thinks this is a special arrangement with Google - its just the way autocomplete works.

If you are interested in manipulating SERP for payment then take a look at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reputation_management

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization

EDIT: Interesting footnote - typing "jehovahs" into Google.com autocompletes for "Jehovah's Witnesses" and places http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses above jw.org - another reason for the WTS to promote searching for "jw."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

No way we can knock 'em off the top spot is there ?

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

When I type "microsoft." (i.e. "microsoft" followed by a full stop [or period for American readers]) into Google, the first result is the Microsoft website. What a 'loving provision' from Microsoft.

Morons.

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble

I tried typing jw. in google and while I was typing JWSURVEY showed up on page one and when I hit enter JWFACTS was on page one. Not too smart a move to share that with the dubs, unless he wants them to find this.

• suavojr
    suavojr

But how did Google saved me when I typed in JW and 1975???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit