An Anti-Witnessing Campaign, Please Join Me!

by What Now? 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• What Now?
    What Now?

In the past few weeks, the shunning issue has become a very personal one for me, and I have begun to realize that it is not just enough for me and my family to fade out. After some recent events, I am motivated to start some “anti-Watchtower activism” of my own.

I, like many others, have hoped that there would be a scandal of epic proportions within the organization, something that would wake others up and trigger a mass exodus.

While I am still hopeful that this may happen, it seems that the organization is too good at damage control, and heightening the paranoia surrounding “apostates”.

But what if the Ex-witness community tried a different approach?

What if, to borrow a hockey term, a sort of “shut out” situation was created?

Most “householders” do not know that all they have to do to get Jehovahs’s Witnesses to stop calling is to ask to be listed as a “Do Not Call”. Most householders do not know that showing interest or accepting literature will cause them to be labelled as a “return visit” or “bible study”.

Imagine the effect it will have if Witnesses arrived at their territory only to find that every house is listed as a “Do Not Call”?

I plan to have the following letter printed and will be distributing it throughout my neighborhood. I will post it in bus shelters and on grocery store bulletin boards. I will be forwarding it as an email with the subject line “How to get Jehovah’s Witnesses to stop calling”.

Please join me on this, and if there are any suggestions on improving the letter, please let me know!

Have you ever had a visit from Jehovah's Witnesses? Did you know that there is a simple way to make sure they never bother you at your home again?

The next time Jehovah's Witnesses come to your door, politely tell them that you have no interest in them or their message, that you would like to be labelled as a "Do Not Call" in their records, and close your door.

If you accept their literature just to be polite, or show the slightest bit of interest, you will become what they call a "return visit". This means that they will write down your name, address and personal information in a book, then repeatedly call on you to bring you their literature and attempt to discuss the bible with you. Once they have succeeded in contacting you three times, you officially become a "bible study" which is then reported to their headquarters.

Here are some things Jehovah's Witnesses won't tell you:

Their purpose in coming to your door is, in fact, to convert you to their religion. Any kindness or personal interest they show you is a means to an end.

They believe that very shortly, every single person in this world who is not one of Jehovah's Witnesses will be violently and everlastingly destroyed by God at Armageddon.

If you become one of Jehovah's Witnesses, you will be expected to slowly distance yourself from non-Witness friends and family.

Jehovah's Witnesses unquestionably accept any and all direction from their "Governing Body" - a small group of elderly men at their world headquarters in New York.

Some of this direction includes:

- Ex communicating and shunning members, including family members, that do not agree with beliefs and practices
    - Discouraging young members from pursuing post secondary education
    - Refusing life saving blood transfusions and the 4 major components of blood, but possibly accepting those 4 components broken down into smaller fractions
    - Possibly allowing a man who has molested a child in the past to hold a position of authority within the congregation (church)

Very shortly, in March/April, Jehovah's Witnesses will begin a campaign to invite you to their annual "Memorial of Jesus Death". An invitation will be left at your door.

Do not accept it. Do not go.

Later in the year in August, they will begin another special campaign to promote their website, JW.org.

Do not visit it.

High attendance at their Memorial and high traffic to their website will only motivate Witnesses to keep doing what they're doing.

Jehovah's Witnesses as individuals are good people, but in reality they belong to a dangerous cult that the public needs to be warned about.

The best thing to do would be to simply ignore them, but a good resource for concise,unbiased information about Jehovah's Witnesses is:

www.jwfacts.com
    Please forward this message to friends and family.

Sincerely,

A concerned neighbor

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I like the concept...I just wonder if people are pro-active enough to do what they need to to get on the "do not call" list. Many people just "go along" to be polite. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

Grass roots stuff does work. Martin luther king took decades to get his message across. and he was already dead.

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

Keep it simple!

• What Now?
    What Now?

Thanks tenyearsafter, I am hoping that if people understand what is involved in "politely going along", they might feel differently.

If I knew that my name and address were being recorded, and other personal information such as how many children I have, their names, the names of my pets, what my religion is, etc, and that they would keep calling, I would definitely ask to be put down as a Do Not Call.

We'll see!

• humbled
    humbled

I occasionally see religious fliers on car windshields or in laundromats, but they can be tedious. With a few illustration-comic book style--it would be read by most who see them.

Your post makes me think.

We used to go door to door with a "Life-saving message" as JWs. Maybe this message of Anti-witnessing would really be lifesaving.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Dear "What Now ?"

I think it is a very good idea, some may take up the suggestion straight away, good! but many people may not react at first, but will remember when called on at an inconveneint time perhaps, and then ask to be on the DNC list.

I wish you well in your work.

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

I put a big valentine heart on my door. It says "Be My Valentine." and it has little stickers all over it. "Jesus Saves" and "Love God." "Love Jesus."

I think of it as JW insect repelent.

• What Now?
    What Now?

WhoYourDaddy - do you think the letter is too long?

I was considering taking out the "what Jehovah's Witnesses won't tell you section"... Although i would love that information to be out there too.

• steve2
    steve2

I take a different view altogether - although I like the clear reasons you give. The JWs are such small potatoes that your "campaign" is hardly worth it. Your letter presumes householders are even interested in what the Witnesses are "about" - they're not. They'd take one cursory look at your letter and presume it's more religious crap and toss it. They wouldn't even care if it's to warn them about JWs. Most householders don't take religious callers seriously anyway - to even listen to their message inthe first place. Why inadvertently create interest? Long shot I know. Who foots the bill for paper and printing and distributing? Whose time and energy? And for what? You're not alone in finding ot hard to tolerate the Witnesses' activity. But your response is time-consuming, costly and hardly effecgivdly targeting interested householders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit