Memorial compulsory for "respectful observers" ?

by sparrowdown 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Island Man:

Enjoyed your post (as well as others on this thread).

Take Care

• ed60
    ed60

'Memorial' as pseudo-'compulsory' is a mechanism intended to get 'weak' JWs 'back to meetings'.

I second that Jeffro...

• pontoon
    pontoon

Ask a JW why Jesus had only his apostles with him so if JW's are following Jesus's example why do they invite everyone. See how they spin that.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I am not one to defend jws ever, and I'm sure not now either.

But...once you drop the filter of xianity, why is this even an issue? There are lots of ceremonies you go to just observe but not participate in. Inaugurations, weddings, baptisms, graduations, etc.

The only reason I can think of that this would be of any importance whatsoever is "other churches have all members participate in the eucharist, and dubs don't"...which begs the question, why does it matter what other churches do?

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

There is no command.

Jesus never gave commands of anything. Just because Paul told people in Corith about it, does not make it something continuous.

This was to the disciples around him and with him at that time.

Really, no one has received benefits of this passover. God has not passed over our sins. And if the passover is the same as the angels destroying at armageddon, then it is something to be done after that time.

My conclusion is that it is for the 11 to have kept doing in remembrance of him. No one today ever knew Jesus so there is nothing to remember.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

MOTHER demands respect.

DD

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

There are lots of ceremonies you go to just observe but not participate in. Inaugurations, weddings, baptisms, graduations, etc.

Sure, but what if you were specially invited to the wedding reception or the graduation party or whatever as a guest, and you were personally offered the food and drink but you were told that it wasn't meant for you?

• DATA-DOG
  • moomanchu
    moomanchu

But...once you drop the filter of xianity, why is this even an issue?

There are lots of ceremonies you go to just observe but not participate in.

Inaugurations, weddings, baptisms, graduations, etc.

If you observe these events you actually see and observe something.

Weddings; vows made, rings exchanged,

baptisms; person gets water on themselves one way or another,

graduations; diplomas are handed out.

What exactly do you see and observe when attending the memorial?

With JW thinking shouldn't it actually be observing and seeing an annointed one drinking or eating the bread?

• BU2B
    BU2B

Whats more what exactly are JWs observing? In most KH, just other JWs passing emblems.. No one partakes. Again I ask- What exactly are they respectfully observing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit