Memorial compulsory for "respectful observers" ?

by sparrowdown 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

WHEW baby am i glad to be free from that whole rigamarole! "What are you wearing to the memorial? Do you wanna go out to the Choke n Puke with us after? Did you see Sister Glibjib drink that wine and eat that cracker? Did you see what that awful Brother Armpit Stink wore for dress shoes? OH wasn't Mrs. Richngorgeous lovely this evening?" PAH!

marina

• Satanus
    Satanus

If you are really buddies w jesus, you don't need no stinking memorial. The memorial is for psudoes, poseurs and wannabes.

S

• Poztate
    Poztate

I think they should follow the example Jesus set. He didn't invite all of his followers to his little sit down dinner.

In fact he only invited the CEO's of his new religion. The "governing body" as it were.

Today the gang of 8 should be the only members involved. It would simplify things a lot. LOL

• Island Man
    Island Man

What you say is true.

The JWs disingenuously claim that they attend the memorial in obedience to Jesus' command. But what exactly did Jesus command? Did he command just meeting together in rememberance of his death? No. He commanded his followers to remember his death by partaking of bread and wine in a communion meal. True, meeting together is essential for this, but only because it is a necessary means to an end - the end of partaking in the communion meal as commanded by Jesus.

So if a christian just attends the meal but does not partake can he really say he is attending in obedience to Jesus' command? No, for it was not the attending that Jesus commanded. He commanded the partaking. So every time non-partaking JWs say that they attend the memorial in obedience to Jesus' command they demonstrate that they have been decieved and continue to decieve themselves. They behave like Saul who did not obey all the instructions of the mission and, when confronted about it by Samuel starts to justify his disobedience by saying:

“But I have obeyed the voice of Jehovah in that I went on the mission on which Jehovah had sent me and I brought A′gag the king of Am′a·lek, but Am′a·lek I have devoted to destruction. 21 And the people went taking from the spoil sheep and cattle, the choicest of them as something devoted to destruction, to sacrifice to Jehovah your God in Gil′gal.” - 1 Samuel 15:20,21

However, Saul at least obeyed the explicit instruction partly. His error was that his obedience was not complete but partial. By contrast, the JWs by and large do not obey the explicit instructions of Jesus but only "obey" the implicit unstated requirement of meeting together in order to partake, but never actually partake which means they're meeting together to observe if anyone will partake. They're essentially saying that they obey Jesus command to eat the bread and drink the wine by attending to observe the majority in attendance refuse to eat the bread and drink the wine. They have allowed the teachings of their govening body to over rule the clear and explicit instructions of Jesus. That is why Saul will rise up in the judgment and condemn the JWs. LOL.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome sparrowdown we look forward to hearing your story and your input on OP`s.

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

The JWs disingenuously claim that they attend the memorial in obedience to Jesus' command. But what exactly did Jesus command? Did he command just meeting together in rememberance of his death? No. He commanded his followers to remember his death by partaking of bread and wine in a communion meal. True, meeting together is essential for this, but only because it is a necessary means to an end - the end of partaking in the communion meal as commanded by Jesus .

Jehovahs witnesses go to great lengths to differentiate themselves from christendom and twist the scriptures in the process.

smiddy

• clarity
    clarity

This is the same ritual as satan worshippers who mock

jesus by passing bread & wine and all there reject it!

• prologos
    prologos

Prior to the last supper, Jesus also warned that unless you eat and drink , the symbolism, you will NOT get EVERLASTING LIFE. John 6.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Welcome sparrowdown. Yes it's nonsense but if you were to ask those questions of an elder you would be hauled in front of a JC before you could say Spanish Inquisition.

Marina LOL. Don't we miss those loving caring people!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I only ask because I dont see the point in going to a party where I am denied access to the buffet.

It's worse. You're invited to the party and they pass round the food and drink under your nose but you've been told it's not for you and can't accept anything.

The old Mosaic Law was more inclusive toward Gentile proselytes than the JW system. They could literally partake of the Passover lamb; they could literally partake of the communion sacrifice with the priests. The 'alien resident' was to be treated the same as the native Jew.

w04 5/15 p. 21 par. 3 Highlights From the Book of Leviticus

Some of the offerings and sacrifices of the Law were voluntary, whereas others were compulsory. The burnt offering, for example, was voluntary. It was presented to God in its entirety, even as Jesus Christ willingly and wholly gave his life as a ransom sacrifice. The voluntary communion sacrifice was shared. One part of it was presented to God on the altar, another portion was eaten by the priest, and still another by the offerer. Comparably, for anointed Christians, the Memorial of Christ’s death is a communion meal.—1 Corinthians 10:16-22.

Yet, the "spiritual Gentiles," and converts to Christianity, i.e. the "other sheep," CANNOT even symbolically partake of the ultimate Communion Sacrifice (thus sharing it with the "spiritual priests") or Passover Lamb, despite that sacrifice being meant for everyone. The JW system is a step backward from the Mosaic Law rather than it harmonizing with the intentions of Christianity which was to be MORE inclusive and break down divisive walls!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit