I am having trouble believing in God...

by thedepressedsoul 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Comatose
    Comatose

Sorry to post so much... But, one other book that really helped me when I was first stuck where you are is written by Bart Ehrman. It's called Misquoting Jesus. Once you understand how the bible was written and translated and reproduced, all your questions start to make more sense.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I did not read the whole book, "The Quest of the Historical Jesus" by Albert Schweitzer, but I did read the concluding chapter after reading references to this in his autobiography. He concluded that it is impossible to reconstruct what Jesus was, and if we did, we would not recognize him.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I am a very black and white person.

Sometimes people use that term as a code word for "logical" and "skeptical" (requiring evidence before adopting a belief).

I fail to believe as well. But that's fine.

I can go on being a good person, working on leaving society a better place, and enjoying life. That's right, enjoying life. If there is a god(s), then s/he will be pleased one day when he makes himself known. He'll find that I've enjoyed his gift (life). If not, yay me--I've made life positive and useful.

I spent a lot of energy trying so hard to believe, discern what the unknown creator wanted of me, and trying to do it. Now I spend my energy and time on useful pursuits.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I feel your pain and confusion, and frustration. I have learned TTATT in the last couple of years. Deep down, I have never fit in with JWs, even though I was a born-in. I can get a more "spiritual" feeling from sitting quietly in a forrest, or watching children play, or stopping on a beautiful day and just being alive. I don't need a brand of religion forced upon me. If God is out there watching, I don't think he approves of what the WT is doing.

I don't know exactly where I stand on everything. I just know that JWs twist what the New Testament teaches. They won't even call it the NT because they love the mosaic law so much! They cannot let it go as it is the basis for most of their control over the sheep. As far as I am concerned the OT and law were a tutor leading the Jewish nation to Christ. That's over. We don't ever have to read it again except as a backdrop to the NT.

I don't believe in the Jehovah of the Watchtower either. I am not so sure that God didn't just let men pick the Bible cannon, knowing that they could not stop truth from showing through. I don't believe that God physically intervenes like the WT teaches. How could he bless chickens in Myanmar, but let a Pioneer get her face ripped off in service. What about poor Whitney who was murdered by a fellow JW? Where were the angels?! What about the dubs who got decapitated in a bus ride to a DC?? Where were the angels?!? What about the sweet old sister who killed her passenger on the way to the Memorial last year? One angel couldn't save members of the one true religion on the most sacred night?? What about the typhoon in the Phillipines? It's beyond stupid to say that JWs in the Yearbook were protected to go to a DC, but God won't save others. It's all or nothing, it cannot be both ways. It's beyond the stupidist of the stupid to think that GOD saves dubs and not innocent starving children. He has either done what he is gonna do in this life or he is not very good at his job.

How could I even be blamed for saying what I just did either?? A just and honest God would say, " Yeah, I dropped the ball a couple times."

I wish I had some answers for you. I still believe in a creator. I just don't think he is doing anything. It's all done. We are going to live our life and die. Then we will see what happens. If I have to support a human organization who lies and protects pedos to get to a paradise ran by the same A-holes, then I choose eternal non-existence. I cannot imagine anything worse than 1,000 years of watchtardedness on earth.

I think it only matters what YOU do. Treat people with love and respect. if belief in a creator motivates you, great.

DD

• sd-7
    sd-7

May I also add "Jesus, Interrupted" and "The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings" by Bart Ehrman--the former is a summary but the latter goes really deep into the cultural background of the Bible writers and how the NT came to be. Eye-opening stuff.

Your questions are good. Keep asking more, and keep reading.

--sd-7

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

You have a lot of stuff going on. I suggest you don't worry about the question of god for a while. Come back to it in a year or so and see if the question is even relevant. You may find that you can find happiness without answering the "god" question.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

I am having trouble believing in God...

Welcome to the club.

• kaik
    kaik

I still believe in the existence of Higher Being, but not in the existence of Christian God or nor I believe that Bible is true word of God. I think it is normal to doubt. I agree with Marcus Aurelius reasoning:

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Welcome thedepressedsoul, Depending on your frame of reference 1 + 1 = 10 in base 2, and 2 in base 10. Your religious beliefs are based more on WTBTS doctrine than the Bible. Since you were raised a JW, you have the rest of your life to explore your faith (or lack of faith in God). You do not need to rely on the WTBTS to tell you how to believe.

God did not give mankind a written text. According to the Bible, after Jesus Christ was resurected, God communicated with humans through the Holy Spirit. The problem is that humans are not perfect and some humans force their beliefs on others by yelling louder than the Holy Spirit (if you believe in God).

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• smiddy
    smiddy

First of all , dont be depressed but rejoice, you have taken the first step to religous/cultish/spiritual freedom . You are questioning things and that is great . All of mankinds acheivements have resulted from someone questioning things . If nobody ever questioned anything we would be still living in caves . As you rightly point out christendom alone has thousands of different sects , all based on the same bible , then their are the different sects of Islam which are based on a great portion of the bible, and lets not forget the various jewish sects that are based on the hebrew scriptures .

And low and behold nobody agrees with anybody else . It is all mankinds interpretation of what God has said or meant.

Has God come into the equasion ? Has he stepped in to sort out this mess ?

As has been brought out before by a few posters , the age we are living in now , technology wise , worldwide communication at your fingertips is available to any and everyone except ....the most high God.

Welcome to the board thedepressedsoul and I hope you change your name to something like an enlightened soul . Take care .

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit