Unquestioning obedience

by Phizzy 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I am waiting for the chance to say, " Tell me Brother X, when was a "slave" ever authorized to demand obedience from the Master's children?"

Then I will read Galatians 4:1-9 : "Now I say that as long as the heir is a babe he does not differ at all from a slave, lord of all things though he is, 2 but he is under men in charge and under stewards until the day his father appointed beforehand. 3 Likewise we also, when we were babes, continued enslaved by the elementary things belonging to the world. 4 But when the full limit of the time arrived, God sent forth his Son, who came to be out of a woman and who came to be under law, 5 that he might release by purchase those under law, that we, in turn, might receive the adoption as sons.

6 Now because YOU are sons, God has sent forth the spirit of his Son into our hearts and it cries out: “Abba, Father!” 7 So, then, you are no longer a slave but a son; and if a son, also an heir through God.
    8 Nevertheless, when YOU did not know God, then it was that YOU slaved for those who by nature are not gods. 9 But now that YOU have come to know God, or rather now that YOU have come to be known by God, how is it that YOU are turning back again to the weak and beggarly elementary things and want to slave for them over again?

Since I now differ from a slave, I am no longer under the authority of any steward. Why would I blindly obey anyone who by nature are not Gods??

DD

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I'm probably in the minority here, but it just reminds me of the end of the Wizard of Oz, where they all see the old man's feet under the curtain and realize its all a big scam. They use the WT and the assemblies as their big screen, going off on the rank and file about obedience. All the while more and more are realizing its just bullshit and bluster.

Most aren't mentally free yet, but the WT realizes that control is slipping away. Poor meeting attendance, more partying and drinking, more "materialism", even outright refusals to do what the elders are demanding. Its crumbling, slowly but surely.

• Robert7
    Robert7

I was raised by parents who lived in communist controlled Poland. My dad (non JW) always instilled a certain distrust of authority. What I mean is don't believe what you are told at face value. Look at their motives and agenda. Question things.

So as a JW my brain always threw a red flag when I would get direct orders like don't go to college, don't look at apostate sites, dont question anything, and far worst was this blind obedience. I felt that blind obedience from ANY authority figure is dangerous. You tell me don't read anything critical of us, I say a BS, what are you hiding!

This is actually was a huge source of dissonance for me and became a big part of my mind opening up and finally leaving the JWs.

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

"Elders, you can learn some helpful lessons from what we have just discussed: (1) The best thing you can do to prepare for the future attack of “the Assyrian” is to strengthen your faith in God and help your brothers to do the same. (2) When “the Assyrian” attacks, you must be completely convinced that Jehovah will save us. (3) At that time, the direction that you receive from Jehovah’s organization may seem strange or unusual. But all of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether we agree with them or not, because obeying these instructions will save our lives. (4) If any are putting their trust in the education of this world, material things, or human organizations, they must change their way of thinking now. You must be ready to help any who may not be putting their complete trust in Jehovah."

Maybe not as extreme as the Jim Jones cult, but cultist statements by the Watchtower nevertheless.

• BU2B
    BU2B

It is very scary. They have been this way for years, ready to give up their lives for ever changing doctrines and commands of men. Think Malawi card issue, organ transplants, blood etc. These things are their KOOL-AID. Also being convinced that God demands they strictly shun ALL outside the home who are DF.. Any group that has this level of control over another humans mind is very freightening indeed :(

• A.proclaimer
    A.proclaimer

I think by making these statements, they're preparing for something big or some questionable idea in the future. When it comes to changing doctrines, the Watchtower always makes some sort of minor adjustments that add up throughout the years until it's different, although on some occasions it's a big leap. Once it's ingrained to obey without questioning, it's hook, line, and sinker for them

• abbagail
    abbagail

FaithfulWitness had written in another thread re the last time they ever went to a KH: "It was a strange and dark atmosphere. The air was heavy and even the WT reader was shifting in his seat."

That is a great ominous description to go along with the "unquestioning obedience" quote. I think WT is moving into the "very dangerous" category (from yellow to orange to red alert). I don't think the JWs will be asked to kill themselves, but possibly to kill others (yes, I know it sounds farfetched now). I have thought for at least a dozen years that JWs are being "prepped" to play some minor part in the Globalization scheme for World Dominion, just like the race baiting that is going on, just like the military is being brainwashed against patriots/Christians/gun owners, etc., & just like cops are being brainwashed against average citizens, etc. (all the various groups are being mentally prepped to pit themselves against others in an all out societal-madhouse-breakdown). So when/if we start seeing any "subtle hints" along those lines in WT literature, then it's really beyond the time to grab your family & flee that borg!

Or you can continue to think it ONLY has to do with $$$, & that all the "obey" commands are merely to keep WT from "bleeding" JWs as they continue to wake-up & exit. That might be true if it weren't for the brainwashing that is occuring is so many OTHER areas of society.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit