Does seeing a flood make you think of gods promise not destroy the earth again by rain, or something else?

by UsuaIusern@me 13 Replies latest jw friends

• trillaz
    trillaz

No, since a flood in one city or multiple ones at a time is not destroying the earth.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Drowning is probably a better way to go than being slowly eaten by a swarm of carpet beetles.

Rub a Dug

• Island Man
    Island Man

The bible says that rainbows are a sign from God that he will not destroy the earth by flood again. But isn't it funny how rainbows don't appear on extremely rainy days when the sky is overcast with constant rain? You would think that on just such rainy days would be the most opportune time for rainbows to appear to allay any fears of a flood. But no! Rainbows appear when the sun is out and there is a light drizzle from a passing cloud. Rainbows appear on days when you wouldn't be worried that a flood could occur, but tend to be absent on very dark and rainy days when you might be worrying about flooding. What's up with that?!

Here's what I think. The rainbow story found in the bible is pure legend. It's the bible offering a fictional explanation for the origin of rainbows. Genesis is filled with fictional explanations for origins of things: Snakes have no legs because the serpent deceived Eve; Women experience menstrual pain, painful childbirth, mysoginy and craving for men because of obeying the serpent; humans wear clothes and are ashamed of their nakedness because of sin; humans speak in different languages because God wanted to thwart their efforts to build a tower and scatter them; and on and on. It's obvious that part of the objective of the book of Genesis to provide explanations for the origins of things that people back then must have wondered about. The explanations are obviously fictional and are reminiscent of how other ancient literature provide explanations for the origins of certain things.

• rebel8
    rebel8

It seems like a reminder and a threat to me, kinda like when barbaric peoples murder and hang the bodies/parts around as a warning for others considering disobedience.

Why does jehoopla need to wait until a rainstorm to remind everyone he's not going to drown us? Can't he just write it in the sky, or better yet, speak really loud and announce, "Hey peeps. I realize that was a totally crappy thing to do and I promise not to do it again. 'Nuf said, k?"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit