Valentine's Day:" At least someone got a chick today!"

by humbled 17 Replies latest jw friends

• humbled
    humbled

That's what my oldest son said when I texted that our little red hen, Goldie, against all odds, hatched herself a chick tonight. Nearly midnight now and I checked--there's another one breaking out to join the first one--

--I put the egg to my ear and heard it cheeping!

I had written in Xanthippe's thread "So what are you up to?" about finding Goldie's hidden nest after a long freezing time and then the heavy snow. She had 9 days to go to any possible success, but poor thing was bound to freeze in the wretched subfreezing temps,snow and freezing rains. Rugged little girl--the rooster diddied her and the guineas tweeked her tail as she ate the warm mash I gave her when she mad the dash to the porch after setting her precious eggs through the snowfall.

We brought her in ,Dick and I did. Put her in near the woodstove. An old woodbox with a lot of saw dust and some straw. She settled down and I noted that Valentine's Day wa s when it was supposed to happen---

and, by cracky, she did it!

I'll count my chickens after they hatch and see if my other son can get pictures up.

Ahhhhh, LIFE!

Happy Valentine's Day!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Congrats to mom and chick.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

What a happy feel good story.

When you posted on the other thread about all the hazards the poor hen and her eggs were enduring, I had no hope for the eggs blossoming open at all.

Happy day. Two chicks out of a possible 14, wasn't it?

You are possibly the only person on this Forum that would have known the correct thing to do.

Congratulations for a job well done!

LoisLane

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Aaaaah what a nice story! Congratulations!

• humbled
    humbled

My son got a picture of Goldie's first success---she had more out this morning. Four and counting! But we can't get the photo to post :(

O, well. Picture Goldie's red-gold mound with a yellowie head/w beak sticking out under her breast...

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Wish I would have read this BEFORE I ate an egg for breakfast!!

Congrats on the little additions to your family!

• clarity
    clarity

Humbled .... 7:16am ...love getting up on a Saturday

morning & reading REAL LIFE stuff!

Guess the dubs are rolling out of bed, having their coffee

while trying to memorize words to parrot at the doors!

Me in my housecoat sitting by the fire! :-)

clarity

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Well done Goldie! Humbled, that's a great story for very early Spring.

• humbled
    humbled

Hello. She is up to at least 5 and one breaking out now. I just peek and pry but don't lift her. So far:

3 pale yellow, 1 tiny black, 1 black and pale striped.

Names? When I sort them out--Lisa, Lois, Rip, Bruja, Clare, and Xan-- we'll see who crows later and know how close the matches are ;>)

The name of this little Ozark Mountain is Chicken Bristle. It is even mapped by that name here in Elkins, Arkansas. I just remembered that this morning.

I have no idea why it is named that.

Spring is coming. Here my husband has always been right about this: the spring peepers--little tree frogs--start their songs by the 3rd week of February. Even if it's cold. We'll see...

Thanks for sharing the day's delights, friends. I hope each of you are having a fine day with at least a warm heart til the days match it.

Maeve

p.s. I am so glad that I wasn't "dubbing" out this morning either, clarity. Coffee with husband and son----and chickens.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Humbled:

"Names? When I sort them out--Lisa, Lois, Rip, Bruja, Clare, and Xan-- we'll see who crows later and know how close the matches are ;>)"

That's sweet! Thanks

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit