Moustaches vs. beards - one of the contributing factors to losing my cognitive dissonace

by Pacopoolio 33 Replies latest jw friends

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

US politicians and Jehovah's Witnesses, they fear the beard.

• Badfish
  • piztjw
    piztjw

I have worn a moustache for the better part of five decades. A circuit oversneer told me I had to trim it shorter so that it wouldn't be longer than the corner of my mouth. I have worn it shaped down nearly to my jaw. His reason was that I looked, "to much like the Malboro man." And of course we wouldn't, "want to influence young men in the congregation to wear that style moustache." I still have it as it has always been. It really tweaks the opinions of the eldurrs when I refuse to follow human decrees.

• JWOP
    JWOP

God commanded the Jews to wear beards. Jesus Christ wore a beard. Charles Russell wore a beard. The Watchtower Society sucks. And yes, men tend to look better with beards. So guys, keep it growin'!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

We don't go by the standards of the world - we go by God's standards.

So if god finds facial hair offensive, why did he create men to grow facial hair?

WT is as goofed up as the god they worship....

• never a jw
    never a jw

Facial hair is facial hair. The elder who gave me a study 20 years ago has the ugliest mustache I have ever seen. It looked like F. Nietzsche mustache but one third of the hair. Long, untrimmed, pointing in every direction hair. Funny thing is that certain JW sister kept giving hell to her non-JW brother for his well trimmed, cool, great loooking very thin beard. She called his beard "esa cochinada". Translation: "that dirty thing" except that in Spanish sounds even more intense. She said that she hoped one day he started a bible study so he would get rid of "esa cochinada"

Conclusion: for JW's an ugly untrimmed, disgusting mustache represents pure worship to Jehovah, while a well trimmed, good looking, thin, beard represents satanic worship. Ok, Ok a slight exageration, but the main point stands. JW's are uncapable or not free to use common sense even to judge what is an attractive use of facial hair.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

never a jw, I experienced something very similar, just can't give the details because they are too specific. How can the religion twist someone's thinking around so much that a woman looks at a good-looking guy with a well-trimmed beard and says that he looks "awful"? (It was definitely a comment on the beard, based on the context.)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

never a jw - "Conclusion: for JW's an ugly untrimmed, disgusting mustache represents pure worship to Jehovah, while a well trimmed, good looking, thin, beard represents satanic worship..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_LaVey

never a jw - "...Ok, Ok a slight exageration, but the main point stands. JW's are uncapable or not free to use common sense even to judge what is an attractive use of facial hair."

I don't know if that's quite accurate.

I had a goatee before I ever started fading, and for every disparaging remark (which were pretty tame), I got a dozen compliments. In fact, one elder's wife said I finally looked like a grown man (I've always looked young for my age).

Maybe it was just where I lived at the time, though.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

It is still strange to me that the WT illustrations depict all heavenly beings as having beards. I guess you just have to wait till you get to heaven...:)

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, Simon, everyone in heaven has a beard, even the women of the anointed, apparently!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit