Moustaches vs. beards - one of the contributing factors to losing my cognitive dissonace

by Pacopoolio 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I've read that a lot of women find men with beards sexy.

That doesn't fly in an authoritarian regime; a fundamental aspect of an authoritarian regime is the (conscious or otherwise) repression of sexuality; it interferes with the process of regime-building.

EDIT: Mustaches, on the other hand, have often been associated with authority figures (police officers are sometimes encouraged to grow one, for example), so it's no surprise that they've been regarded as acceptable in the WTS for a long time.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

The beard thing actually bothered me as a kid, long before I could, or would want to, grow one. We had a nice older brother in our Hall who everyone liked, despite his having a full beard. Needless to say, he didn't have any privileges. But I couldn't see what was so wrong with it if it looked presentable. Especially now that beards are coming back, it's ridiculous to say that JWs can't wear them because they need to give a good impression, because a man with a well-trimmed beard in a suit looks perfectly acceptable to a modern American (can't speak for other countries).

With regards to mustaches, I think that a man who can really pull it off (think Burt Reynolds) can still wear one without being ridiculed. But the tide definitely turned against them some years back. I remember a brother being congratulated for shaving his because he looked "ugly" with it (and actually, he didn't, it worked fine for him; it was a suitable mustache for his type of face). I think it's largely a matter of popularity combined with what works for someone; when a certain style is "in", people will be able to "get away" with wearing it even if it doesn't totally suit them. Once the tide turns against that style, suddenly the same guy is ridiculed for looking creepy or ugly or out of touch.

Oh, and welcome Pacopoolio!

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

SD7,

It's shifting again now, a lot having to do with the "ironic" nature of some of the hipster movements attempting to bring moustaches back.

Which is mostly the point. Grooming shifts; so having a set rule for 60 years, while allowing all kinds of nonsense that makes people look ridiculous at times (even the idea of going to doors in full suits now is silly, since suits as professional attire are falling off greatly) is just the tip of the iceberg for the mindset of those passing down the rules. And, of course, it shows how they don't even consider how the rules can have an effect on an INDIVIDUAL in their day to day life, either. It's basically "don't bother changing it until it becomes a huge deal" (see: blood), even though the smaller deals are screwing up people's lives via the combination of them.

---------

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

leaving quietly:

The tattoo thing is defended by the "don't defile your body" scripture. Which is the loosest possible interpretation of that ever.

One of the funniest ones is the ban on weed. In places where it's legal (and now that it's proven to be safer than alcohol and a medical benefit), it's still banned by The Society because "being under the influence of weed weakens some people so that demons can come in." However, nitrous oxide and other -legal- depressants that aren't banned have practically the same effect on you - so why aren't demons flying into people at the dentist's office?

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

The tattoo thing is defended by the "don't defile your body" scripture. Which is the loosest possible interpretation of that ever.

I just did a search in the WT Library and came up empty with this. It would be something with the word "tattoo" and 2 Cor 7:1 in it. The closest thing I could find was about not stumbling someone, but this explanation, as far as I'm aware, has never been in print. Perhaps I missed it. If you know where this is, can you please tell me?

• clarity
    clarity

Pac ....welcome to this place where you can 'let your hair down'!

Glad you have found success .... I wish you all the best.

And every time I go, I see the same sea-of-moustaches from elders and minesterial servants that think they're the coolest things on earth, next to their settled-for wives. And I just silently shake my head

I love this ..hahha ...if I were a male right now, facial hair would be

my next move! (being female, trying to stay away from that!!haha)

Keep posting....you will fit right in!

clarity

• clarity
    clarity

Pac......oh btw, you have great things to say,

but if you break it down into paragraphs, it will

be easier to read. Thanks, my eyes are old!

• Pacopoolio
    Pacopoolio

There aren't paragraph breaks in my post above? I see them - hmmm...

---------------

leaving quietly,

Might have been one of those "never printed" things. From what I heard from elders at a couple of congregations, that was always the reason.

Most of the burdened down rules seem to be a lot of heresay that comes from assemblies, CO visits, and elders. Hard to know at what level the "holy spirit" inspired those rules.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Great opening post. Hope you are able to stick around and contribute to the community. Alot of people leaving are scared, and have no idea what is possible if they free their mind up a bit.

Welcome.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

@Pacopoolio, Welcome, by the way!

You are probably right. In which case, you are now armed with what is really published.

It appears the definitive "published" article is the g9/22 03 p. 27 "Young People Ask... Should I Get a Tattoo?" It's the only reference in the new "Research Guide" on the 2013 CD. I'll have to check out some older articles pre-WT Library timeframe at a later date. But, nothing post 1950 in the Watchtower or post-1970 in the Awake! use 2 Cor 7:1. There are three references that aren't on the library, two Awake! articles from the '60s that I haven't looked at, yet, and an Aid Book reference. I'll see if any of these references 2 Cor 7:1.

Noteworthy, and this was repeated in a letter from readers, were these comments:

Of course, Christians are not under the Mosaic Law. (Colossians 2:14) g95 10/8 p. 30 in response to a letter from someone who referenced the Law at Leviticus 19:28

The biggest reason for prohibition against tattoos seems to be what others might think.

Both these quotes are from the g9/22 "Young People Ask..." article.

You should also give serious thought to how others might feel about your wearing a tattoo, as many react negatively. (1 Corinthians 10:29-33)

Consider also whether choosing to get a tattoo would enhance or undermine your claim of being a Christian. Could it be a “cause for stumbling” others? (2 Corinthians 6:3) True, some youths have had their tattoos placed on hidden areas of the body. Even their parents may not know about these secret tattoos. But beware! An emergency trip to the doctor or simply taking a shower at school could make your secret common knowledge! Better it is to “conduct ourselves honestly in all things,” avoiding foolish deception.—Hebrews 13:18.

Best,

~LQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit