Are Men's Rights Laughable?

by Paralipomenon 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Reading over the Woody Allen thread I noticed a couple things but didn't want to side track the "discussion"

1) Woody Allen is creepy

2) Nobody really seemed to care that his ex-Wife was abusive towards her children.

An example I think is perfect was the release of Twilight where you would see lineups of 30-40 year old women making very inappropriate comments about a 16 year old boy. But that is fine because it is women. A different standard also seems to be set for a woman being abusive because they are perceived as "weaker".

Living as a modern man, you are fine until someone accuses you of rape, child abuse or violence and then you are guilty until proven innocent. It is quite a common tactic in a divorce to claim physical or sexual abuse since courts seem to just shrug and lump all men into same batch.

Times I have discussed this topic, it is very common to hear arguments that men should just tough it out when in abusive relationships, young underage men should be proud of being raped by older female predators and discussing any injustices facing a man today makes you a misogynist, sexist and male chauvinist.

What do you think, are there challenges facing men towards equality, or should injustices towards men be overlooked until we pay for the sins of our fathers?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It's true that men are not treated fairly in certain situations and that people should not rush to judgment of them when they are accused of something.

However, seeing as nature itself has put the genders in different situations, such that men can easily overpower women, not all gender-related circumstances can be considered interchangeable. For instance, there is a vast, unmeasurable history of men raping women, and very little of the reverse on record. Thus, just because a woman "gets away with something that a man wouldn't", like talking about ravishing some guy, that doesn't mean that society has a double standard. It just means that the hypothetical talk is less plausible and does not have a history of actual practice behind it, thus it is not as threatening.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

How many countless centuries have women been treated unfairly? We were forbidden to own property, read, determine our bodily integrity, vote, the list is a very long one. I don't see where men face an unfair situation. It could be that you are so used to women having no power that it troubles you to see women exercising some rights. We will no longer be subject to you.

Life involves risk and balancing acts. There was no balance when children were not believed at all. This is a time of transition. With so many men registered to vote, I would not fear being booted out of male paradise. I feel it is crazy to compare yourself to Woody Alllen. The man was deeply flawed while being a great artist. A regular couple does not have the resources of Woody Allen and Mia Farrow. Not many men make the moves on teen age girls at Allen's age. I see no attraction beside the obvious taking advantage of a someone much younger.

I participated in the thread but I also feel that both of them are Circus performers. They chose fame. Their children did not. I don't see where Ronan Farrow has the qualifications to anchor a TV news show. Well, I bet his income went up when Mia hinted that he is Frank Sinatra's child. Something easy to ascertain with DNA testing.

It is a fluff thread.

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

An example I think is perfect was the release of Twilight where you would see lineups of 30-40 year old women making very inappropriate comments about a 16 year old boy. But that is fine because it is women.

I don't know the fanbase of the Twilight films (although, I actually thought it was a teenage-girl bait flick), but wasn't the point of its male protagonist that he was a centuries-old creature... having/retaining the appearance of a high school senior? Old and experienced, but still youthful in aspect?

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

@Band - Your post is perfect to demonstrate my point.

I don't know you, we have never met, but by asking about rights for men I am personally trying to subjugate you. I have a long history of supporting women's rights as well, but you insinuate that I am troubled over women extercising some rights?

Quite to the contrary, I am overjoyed, it is about time. Everyone should have equal rights, that includes men. I don't feel that any injustice should be dismissed.

Men's rights are just that, focusing on issues of inequality based on gender for men. It is not anti-feminist. It is not a competition.

As a post script, I am not aware that I even hinted about comparring myself to Woody Allen. Personally I don't like his movies and find him to be... well as I stated, creepy. I can't help but think your whole post seemed to be projecting rage to someone else, but directed at me.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I don't know the fanbase of the Twilight films (although, I actually thought it was a teenage-girl bait flick), but wasn't the point of its male protagonist that he was a centuries-old creature... having/retaining the appearance of a high school senior? Old and experienced, but still youthful in aspect?

The comment was more tongue in cheek, a humorous overview for the topic. Not sure of the age of the characters, but one of the male leads was underage.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

I think Hank Hill summed it up quite nicely

It's called the double standard Bobby. Don't knock it — we got the long end of the stick on that one.

Some you win some you lose.

Another one where manly men don't win is custody battles.

The man will most likely lose that battle and then have to pay child support to boot.

In the long run, men probably get more "long end of the stick" situations than women.

How many men were waiting for the Olsen twins to turn 18 before we could admit to o·gl ing

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

"Twilight Moms"!? Now, that is creepy!

I wonder how many offspring they're embarrassing... .

• valkyrie
    valkyrie

How many men were waiting for the Olsen twins to turn 18 before we could admit to o·gl ing

Really? You couldn't find any mantises or... stick figures... that were already of age?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I do think there are challenges facing men today, I think some women have an anti male agenda, but I think that is a small minority. The fact is men still make more money that women and men still dominate corporate boardrooms and politics, so I don't think men are oppressed or anything.

If a woman has sex with an underage male it is statutory rape. It happens, the attitude that this is just fine and the guy should be grateful, is out there, and that is wrong, but the criminal justice system does prosecute these cases, I saw a list of ten high profile cases the other day. The reality is the vast majority of rapes are still committed by men, and very often these cases aren't prosecuted, so I think more men are getting away with rape than women.

I have seen some commercials that portray men as stupid and buffoons, I find it offensive. There is one where the father doesn't seem to understand the idea of a WiFi, his wife and daughter are smirking and making fun of him, they tell him there is an invisible cord. If the sexes were reversed I think you would have feminists up in arms. At the same time we still have commercials that play into sexual stereotypes of women, so we still have a way to go to be fair and balanced for both women and men.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit