Overwhelming Fear of Death

by Perversion of a truth 34 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Deciding to believe in something is not an authentic way to live. - Cofty

Why not? I choose to believe in the best in people. It tends to bring out their best.

As an aside to your incandescence, I can relate. I hate cancer for what it takes away.

You need some sort of spirtual belief. - Scotsman

Why? I am sure it provides you comfort, but I think it is flawed to impart the same solution to everyone. I have a chronic disorder, which impels people to give me all sorts of random advice. What, they think I haven't studied this in depth? I've given up on any panacea, but that doesn't mean I've given up. It also doesn't mean I think people have stupid ideas. It's just that those stupid ideas won't work for me.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

I have to say that i fear death more now than what i did in the past. Just like you, because i'm realizing that there is nothing after death, it makes me value life much more and makes me sad that there will be nothing after this.

I think that people in general have a hard time accepting this and are in complete denial which in turn makes them embrace all sorts of beliefs about a life after death. WHen i was a JW i believed that if i died for whatever reason (accident, illness, etc) that it wouldn't be so terrible because i would be ressurected in paradise and that gave me comfort.

I now realize that it will never happen. This is IT. This is all we have and we better make the most of it. It makes me sad that i will not get to see the great things that will be invented as mankind moves foward. That i will never have time to learn everything i wanted to learn and enjoy.

Life, and this planet are truly amazing, and it almost seems unfair that we are here for only a speck of time. I often make an analogy to life being like a fantastic train full of good things, and we are only allowed to jump on board for only a few stations and then forced off - never to jump on again.

• cofty
    cofty

Why not? I choose to believe in the best in people. It tends to bring out their best. - jgant

I agree. I'm tempted to say "that's different" but I can't think why at the moment.

Your fear of death is attributable to your lack of mileage; i.e., you're young and haven't yet experienced the unhappy things you will experience as you go through your 40s and 50s. You won't fear death much as the mileage grows on you . . .

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I think it was wayne Dyer that said until you embrace your death, you can not live life. I to have had to come with terms of mortality in the last 30 years. Like all of us on here that were raised a JW having to deny that we would never die but live on forever into a paradise earth was a diss-service to us. As I grew older and watch my family grow old and die the reality has suken in that it was all a big lie. It does take time to work through it. Like other posters on here said just live each day to the fullest and don't worry about tomorrow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit