Overwhelming Fear of Death

by Perversion of a truth 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Perversion of a truth
    Perversion of a truth

Greetings. Do any of the posters on here deal with this? I do, and I hate it. People (mostly my brother) tells me to not fear death and just to enjoy life and so on, but that doesn't seem to help any. Since I don't believe in god now I fear that almost for sure that when I die that that is it forever... I don't know what it is, whether it is the love of life or what, , but to imagine dying and not exisiting forever is such a scary thought to me, , I don't want to die forever. Does anyone else feel this way?

I am currently in my early 30's so I (hopefully) still have some living to do, but I can't stop thinking how quickly life has gotten me to where I am now, , and knowing that I'll wake up tomorrow and be old and getting close to death. Any help or suggestions on how to overcome this fear or at least accept it or cope with it would be much appreciated!

• SecretHeart11
    SecretHeart11

I can't say that I have had that feeling in a long, long while, but when I was young (maybe starting at 8 years old) and truly believed the JW things my mother taught me, the thought of eternal nothingness TERRIFIED me. I hated the thought of the world going on without me and all my thoughts and memories dying with me. I would get panic attacks about it at night especially. Even thinking I would get resurrected MAYBE if Jehovah didn't hate me for accidentally saying "thanks, you too" when someone said Merry Christmas wasn't a comfort. I don't know when or why it stopped being so terrifying for me, but I'm glad it's not something I think about anymore. My only suggestion would be to just put it out of your mind, I'm sorry it is so hard for you. Focus on the moments that are positive in your life and keep your mind busy. Read upbeat books or listen to upbeat music before bed so you're not going to sleep with such draining thoughts. All the best to you And I wish I could help you more!

• caroline77
    caroline77

I was fearful of death when young but found it got easier as I got older. I have the 'been there, done that' attitude now. I always wondered how old people coped with the knowledge that they would be dead in 2, 5, or 10 years time. With increasing aches and pains it does not seem such a bad thing now.. though I do still have quite a few years left, as far as I know. I do have a faith that I will be resurrected, however, but I'm not a JW.

• DeWandelaar
    DeWandelaar

I totally understand the feeling but you know: we do not know what is there after death. Maybe there is SOMETHING. Maybe there isn't. But do not let it prevent you from actually living. Fear has always been a bad teacher in my book ;)

• steve2
    steve2

Fear of death keeps churches full, bars brimming, houses of sin buzzing and people awake nights. You could do worse than obtain a good book on mindfulness which teaches you how to be present with scary thoughts rather than doing 'something' about those perfectly understandable thoughts. If you were religious, you'd be a sitting duck for a self-compatible belief system. Watch out for bars and houses of sin and, if you do keep waking nights, get up same time each day. It's handy for re-calibrating your sleep-wake cycle. Fears are more manageable when you've had a good night's sleep.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Its an ego reaction. The ego is terrified of siecing existence. Paradoxically, the ego is a fake mental construct, ie, not really real.

Learn to meditate, focussing on your breathing. Learn to focus on the present. Learn to pay attention to the present, what is going on around you. Learn to relax.

S

• designs
    designs

Perversion- A couple of things helped me. Studying psychology at the university level, particularly courses on existentialism. You get your academics and therapy all rolled into one.

• DullBookworm
    DullBookworm

mmh - I am becoming aware of all the WTS issues and failings, that however has not turned me entirely against the belief in god or some form of power.

So many different religions believe in something or other - why not believe in god and keep a healthy awareness, that there may be a kernel of truth in a combination of all religions.

It's probably some undisturbed jungle community that has it spot on and we westerners are all muppets and thinking too hard about what it is god really wants us to do or be.....

chin up xx

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Global village idiot here: Look, life is a journey, LOL- and as you go on that journey not only the scenery changes, but you do as well- so by the time you are ready to pop your clogs; if you have lived life to the full, with a complete awareness of all the good & bad that happens in the world, you will be so physically & mentally f**ked that you will be happy to go under and have some rest, LOL. Everything you feel about life changes naturally as you get older, IMO. Not that I’d know- I’m still 21, LOL.

• blondie
    blondie

”Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift- that's why they call it the present.”

Live in today...I have faced death several times in my life: at 5, at 19, at 32, and at 54. Each time I learned that life is lived right now, not in the past, not in the future. Live well now, enjoy and savor the present moment.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit