I want to send a nice note to my sister

by Faithful Witness 18 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Nice letter - very warm and positive! Is there something special about having waited one month and now replying? Why not 2 or 3 months? Didn't she say she did not want to communicate with you but you put in parenthesis (at this time) - is that what she said: "at this time"? No where in your reply do you acknoweldge what she said. Is there a reason for this? E.g., "I appreciated hearing from you and realize you said you did not want to communicate with me at this stage but I just wanted you to know that I've been thinking about you and the good times we shared....etc."

My apologies if you've already considered this but here goes: Realize that in sending the letter you may feel hurt in some way should she ignore your letter and/or not reply.When we reach out to others, it is normal to hope they will reciprocate and/or gain some sense that we are not evil, horrible people - and when nothing comes back, we could feel empty or letdown.

All the best.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Awesome letter! I am with ABIBLESTUDENT, though - remove the 'see things from my perspective' sentence. Otherwise, perfect.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I'd agree with the above ^^

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I cut the message in half. I left her as a preschooler (which is how she always appears when she shows up in my dreams). I took out the line about me. I sent it last night, 2 days after and 2 days before her indoctrination meeting.

I am fully aware of what they are saying about me in the Watchtower study articles. My sister right now might not even have a natural personality, or at least not when she sees or hears my name. I do not expect a reply. I don't take the shunning personally (well maybe a little, but am not getting my hopes up).

Thanks for the input. I wanted to run it through the JW mind filter, and make sure I wasn't using any words or symbols that might sound like I was working with Satan. I do not understand how to communicate with her new personality. Your perspective helped. Thanks.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You are giving it your best shot. No-one could accuse you of not trying.

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

I agree - it is a lovely letter which should strike a cord with her - I wonder though whether you want to put more emphasis on her kind-heartedness and less on her cuteness as she may take this as a bit condescending if she thinks you do not take her and her beliefs seriously -- just a thought but I think the overall tone and intent are perfect by seeking to get through to her on a loving emotional basis - Good work and good luck

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

That letter is 100% wonderful.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Faithful Witness, Live your life without regrets and unreasonable fear. Do not give up on your sister's authentic persona, but do take into account how your BIL influences your sister. From you previous posts, I would not be surprised if he is a very controlling type person. How are you progressing with your parents?

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

Hi Robert, I'm going to post a new thread to answer that. My mom is coming to visit us this Friday!

She lives 65 miles away, but we have not had an unsupervised (without my dad along) visit with her since last fall.

Our plan is to schedule Grandma time, the 2nd Friday of every month. I'm hoping she will stay long enough, to see my husband get home from work. We all miss her so much. I still think of her as my best friend, and pretty much the one person I can talk to about everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit