A Tug on the Leash (The Authority Which the GB Wields Over the R&F)

by Oubliette 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

The Watchtower, October 1, 2014, Page 8:

"You are wise to be cautious instead of believing everything you hear. (Proverbs 14:15) In some ways, your caution could be compared to that of the ancient Beroeans.* When they were first told about the good news of the Kingdom, the Beroeans accepted what they heard, but not simply because they wanted it to be true. Rather, they carefully examined the Scriptures “to see whether these things were so.” (Acts 17:11) In other words, the Beroeans compared the good news that they heard with what the Scriptures say. In time, they became convinced that the good news was in fact solidly based on God’s Word."

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Fortunately for us, we're like cats at the end of the leash

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

FT, when the watchtower says that, isn't it talking about people examining OTHER religions and their beliefs? Do you think they mean examine everything about THE JW religion, its history, what ALL their publications have said, making sure that everything they have said 'is really so', using outside sources for research? I think there is a double standard here. Just like when they say 'how can you be sure you were born in the right religion?', it is a question only directed to householders.

• label licker
    label licker

And only when that dog no longer needs that prong collar, he is then guided by his own free will wanting to please his master every chance he gets. How sad on top of the collar restraint the publisher puts up with, they are then rewarded with the org's propaganda litertrash.

Excellent opening post! Love reading your comments Oubliette:)

• richgirl
    richgirl

Back in the year 2012 I was in the throes of my "crisis of conscience", but still "waiting on Jehovah"...for ...something....anything, that would restore my withering faith in the Governing Body. Then an elder pointed out to me the insert in the KM about the JW website, which I had yet to visit. I guess he thought it would encourage me. Well.....that's when everything really started unravelling!!! There was a video of highlights from the 2012 AGM. The "new light" about the FDS was briefly discussed. I cried when I saw it. I thought "This is what I've been waiting for!! The GB are humbling themselves by admitting they do not yet have authority over "all the Master's belongings!!" It seemed they were relinqusihing power. I thought that because they had admitted having not been rewarded yet with Kingdom power, then they could no longer judge as rejected, all the members of Christendom, (previously understood to be at the same time, in 1918/9). I wrote to the GB to express my appreciation and how I was glad that we did not "blanket condemn" all those in Christendom anymore (well...obviously, in my eyes!). I held my breath while waiting for a response. It came. They "rejoiced" with me over the new understanding, but then went on to slam Christendom, though they stated that they "make no attempt to judge or condemn the members of the churches of Christendom". Then some months later the July 15th 2013 WT appeared. It clearly stated that from 1914, Jesus "rejected all false Christians in the congregation and those in the churches of Christendom" (page 12, par 8). According to the article, these were the weeds that started to be collected, from 1914, and were 'bundled up", destined for the "furnace". Clearly this means that individuals are being judged. Logically, if such ones died before Armageddon, they could not expect to be resurrected (just as with the pre-1995 understanding regarding the 'goats") . I wrote back to the GB for clarification. They (the writing dept I suppose) said that though "we" do not judge people, "Jehovah and Jesus do", and clearly, "some people will not be resurrected". Then they went on to say that "many who are considered unrighteous will be resurrected because there is a chance that they will decide to serve Jehovah if they are taught the truth in an environment free from the negative influences we experience in Satan's system.." How can this include those in the churches if they have figuratively been "bundled for the fire"? It just makes no sense. Are they "rejected' or aren't they? Of course, that entire July 2013 WT was a desperate attempt by them to find some kind of scriptural back-up for their claim of STILL being "chosen" by Jesus in 1919. It was very pathetic: Insisting that the wheat and weeds parable finds fulfillment since 1914, rather than when Jesus returns in the future (when they have moved the fulfillments of Jesus' other parables to the future), and using the "pattern" of Jesus literally feeding the many through the hands of the few, when his disciples distributed the "food" miraculously provided.. (ie. FDS now a few, seven men) So lame!!!

Getting back to 2012. When I attended the 2012 DC I expected the "new light" about the FDS to be at least mentioned. I was shocked and disappointed that such a MAJOR doctrinal change wasn't addressed in the programme! (I had to wait a few months for the July 2013 WT.) At this point I wasn't ready to give up hope for the GB entirely, but I knew that DC would be a turning point, one way or the other, depending on what I heard. I didn't even make it through the first day before my decision was made. I walked out taking my daughter with me. When the July 15th WT eventually arrived, it was confirmed that I had made the right decision! I was disfellowshipped for apostasy in June 2013 after making a stand for my conscience. It was the bravest thing I have ever done!!

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

On the flip-side, the Society has issued many statements saying every Witness must imitate the Noble-Minded Beroeans of Acts 17:11 to make sure the Society is teaching the truth of the Bible.

WTS has never said such a thing.

They have discouraged "independent" Bible research, and have, definitely stated that the Bible cannot be understand by an individual, outside of WTS teaching.

• smiddy
    smiddy

A great thread Oubliette , well put . (from a dog lover)

smiddy

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

You get an 'improved' on your counsel sheet for illustrations!

Really great post oub, don't know how I missed it first time round

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Oubilette: Do not be misled by any sentimental notion of a kinder, gentler Governing Body. That's nonsense.
    When the GB make any changes, they are in fact affirming their authority, confirming their control.
    It's a tug on the leash.

I agree with you, Oubilette.

What you have described so well in your post fits into the "Stockholm Syndrome" model. The relaxing of rules by the WTS are "perceived acts of kindness".

It has been found that four situations or conditions are present that serve as a foundation for the development of Stockholm Syndrome. These four situations can be found in hostage, severe abuse, and abusive relationships:
    • The presence of a perceived threat to one’s physical or psychological survival and the belief that the abuser would carry out the threat.
    • The presence of a perceived small kindness from the abuser to the victim
    • Isolation from perspectives other than those of the abuser
    • The perceived inability to escape the situation
    The “Small Kindness” Perception
    In threatening and survival situations, we look for evidence of hope – a small sign that the situation may improve. When an abuser/controller shows the victim some small kindness, even though it is to the abusers benefit as well, the victim interprets that small kindness as a positive trait of the captor. In criminal/war hostage situations, letting the victim live is often enough. Small behaviors, such as allowing a bathroom visit or providing food/water, are enough to strengthen the Stockholm Syndrome in criminal hostage events.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter
    Profound. I don't bandy the word about lightly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit