A Tug on the Leash (The Authority Which the GB Wields Over the R&F)

by Oubliette 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• a watcher
    a watcher

Jehovah keeps me on a LONG leash, and I'm happy to be there.

• sir82
    sir82

I posted this thought on another thread but it fits in well here as well.

The most important, I daresay the only, doctrine that is necessary for the JWs is this:

The Governing Body exclusively speaks for God. They are never wrong. Opposing them is exactly equivalent, and carries exactly the same penalty, as opposing God.

Any and all other doctrines can change, will change, or have changed.

It's rather like MLM - the actual product itself is incidental, merely an afterthought. The structure is what matters.

If Amway decided to stop selling soap, and decided to sell peanut butter instead, nothing would really change.

If JWs teach that 144,000 is a literal number today, and tomorrow it is figurative, nothing really would change.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Do you think that the change in the Songbook is also related to this?

It seems to me it is more significant than the revised NWT because the Bible is essentially the same and the scriptures still sound familiar. But the songs, the words and melody, have all changed and nothing is familiar anymore. So every meeting at which there are usually three songs, you either go along with the crowd or stand out like a sore thumb.

I am still quite baffled as to how this has advanced true worship or even christian fellowship.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Very nice analogy.

In my opinion, I can only compare the current trajectory of the GB to a boss that I had many years ago. Being in a position of oversight, I was asked into his office. He stated that BIG changes were in the pipeline and that many of the workers would be upset about the way it impacted them. In order to address this, he decided that he would increase the pay that the workers would receive per item they assembled. This, of course, would go over excellently, as the majority of the workers would be able to take home a few extra dollars a week. What he didn't tell them was that a few weeks down the road the assembling process would change substantially. This, unfortunately, would affect their overall production and they would, in fact, lose money even with the increase per item. It was a very astute plan. The increase in pay moved the workers to openly praise the boss as a generous man who cared for his workers. When the expected changes were implemented, there was little backlash against the boss. He had maneuvered things so that the criticism would fall against the quality control chief. To my surprise, no one left the company.

I believe about the same reverse psychology exists with the current GB. Any relaxing of any standard, perceived or real, is only a preparatory response. Some might argue that it all goes back to the "brazen" conduct change. Inform the elders of the change, implement the change from the top, adjust the Bible accordingly and now the change isn't from the elders...it's from GOD!

Just a thought,

SOP

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

-

Bumpin' it for FT and all lurkers!

-

• prologos
    prologos
    plus que ca change, plus cela est la MEME chose. by the chosen few, 7.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

For those that don't speak French, here is a translation and attribution of the quote which Prologos posted:

An epigram by Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr in the January 1849 issue of his journal Les Guêpes (“The Wasps”). Literally “The more it changes, the more it’s the same thing.”

• prologos
    prologos
    When we discuss the convoluted twists and turns of wt's evolving meaningless doctrines, we are not at the end of that controlling leash too, but merely point out the folly of those changes, the barbs or shocks of those training collars. After 1975 wt praised the loyalty of dogs, compared to those that abandoned, slackened off. Now we know it was the loyalty of well trained dogs. So well trained that master could do no wrong.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Prologos: When we discuss the convoluted twists and turns of wt's evolving meaningless doctrines, we are not at the end of that controlling leash

That's because those of us that are free to discuss have shed the leash.

We have cast of the chains that bind us.

The collar and leash only control those that willing continue to submit to WT leadership.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

The Society is based on their belief that the New Testament says there should be a "governing" group of Christians like the Apostles and Elders of Jerusalem in Acts chapter 15, and that this group has authority to send "letters" to all the Congregations ordering them to accept certain doctrine and teachings.

I don't agree that this governing group is something God intended for any time period after the Apostles died.

However, this could be open to various interpretations, including the one the Society believes in.

The example quote given by the OP is speaking about direction given during the Great Tribulation, after the events predicted by the Governing Body have come true. If these events never come true, that command doesn't apply.

On the flip-side, the Society has issued many statements saying every Witness must imitate the Noble-Minded Beroeans of Acts 17:11 to make sure the Society is teaching the truth of the Bible.

Does the Watchtower Society, JW.org, and the Governing Body 2.0 still have many issues that can cause them to be considered a cult? Yes, they do, and the sooner they change these, the better.

I'm not defending any of their cult-like practices and beliefs, but I refuse to issue blanket condemnations and bitterness over every single thing they do, even when it is actually an improvement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit