'American Pickers' Star and her Jehovah's Witness upbringing

by jwleaks 20 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

I tried to combine pioneering with part time work as a stripper. Coordinating my wardrobe was a nightmare. I lived in dread that I'd be knocking on doors and then hearing "The Stripper" playing on the radio, start disrobing on the doorstep.

I did not want to make the local newspaper as the first JW arrested for spreading a shady sort of good news, so, to forestall ill reproach, I quit pioneering.

Modesty prevents me from saying what became of my stripping ways.

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I've known and loved many junk-picking JW's! Garage sale shopping is a passion, and there were some very resourceful people in the cong we associated with for a few years. So many of the brothers were skilled contractors, and borderline hoarders.

They also networked with the local Amish contractors... country life at its finest!

Oubliette: Thanks for sharing that song. Hilarious! I love folk music that tells a story. :)

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

steve: That might have made for an interesting stage performance... wearing a break-away business suit, with your blue jw.org button on the lapel...

Just put a wooden contribution box on the floor in front of you.

• bittersweet2K
    bittersweet2K

Wow, I just had a conversation with a fully sleeved and covered tatted back and chest today at the grocery store. I was told, when a JW, to not have any of my tats showing at the KH or in service because it brings reproach. So I wore boots to cover my ankle tats, and other covered up clothing. Then went through the extremely painful and expensive process of having them removed via laser. I wish I would've had the guts to tell those elders to F off, and kept them. Theres tons of JWs with visible tats that don't get harassed by elders.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Well in my Watford K.H, congregations were divided between north and south. Geri Halliway of the spice girls mum was a witness,on the other side to me. Let's quote Geri from her Autobiography " I sat through endless sermons at the Kings Hall ......I stood on doorsteps clutching my mothers hand. Nobody ever wanted to invite us in and some were quite rude"

Fortunatly Geris mum left the " truth" quote " They were a bunch of hypocrites who were just as materalistic and greedy as the rest of us"

• bittersweet2K
    bittersweet2K

So much to say..... but I suppress it. It just brings so much alive within me that I've tried to keep dead within me. 'Wordly' friends don't get it, it defies logic of love. It's such a weird mind control that they have.

• nugget
    nugget

I like her on that show. I will watch it with renewed interest.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

FYI - a recent interview with Danielle Colby

Ink, iron, and the queen of rust

High Plains Reader, Thursday, October 19, 2017

When asked how her family responded, once they found out their daughter was a burlesque dancer she responded, “I think for the first 10 years they were a little shocked because my family are Jehovah’s Witnesses, so that’s always a rabbit hole to go down...but it’s funny, because lately I’ll show my mom clips here and there, especially now that I’m doing lyra. Now she gets it.”

READ FULL INTERVIEW: http://hpr1.com/index.php/feature/culture/ink-iron-and-the-queen-of-rust/

Her personal website is: http://daniellecolby.com/

• Done
    Done

I wonder if she was molested by someone in the org?

http://starcasm.net/archives/248093

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Interesting question @Done...

But of course, as S Lett said, "we abhor child abuse". So you know, it never happens to anyone in "God's organisation"!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit