'American Pickers' Star and her Jehovah's Witness upbringing

by jwleaks 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Danielle Colby went from Jehovah's Witnesses to burlesque dancer to vintage decor goddess

Dallas News | by Joy Tipping

January 30, 2014

You might think it’d be a monumental leap from a Jehovah’s Witnesses girlhood to a life of burlesque dancing, roller-derby team ownership, fashion design and reality show stardom.

Not so, says Danielle Colby of the History Channel’ s hit show American Pickers. “I beg to differ with you on that,” she says with a laugh, by phone from her home in Chicago. “All of my friends who left the faith became strippers, just about every one of them. They saved money and paid for college and got great jobs.”

...She grew up in Iowa, the daughter of “good parents who had a very liberal lifestyle, they were hippies. … Then they became Jehovah’s Witnesses, in a drug-induced haze or whatever,” she says, “and we grew up in this very strict, religious atmosphere where we were going to church three times a week, not including field service where we went out and knocked on people’s doors.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment/television/headlines/20140130-american-pickers-star-brings-her-antiques-savvy-to-grapevine.ece

http://www.history.com/shows/american-pickers

• apostatekate
    apostatekate

After my mom left the organization when I was a teenager I really latched on to the punk rock culture. I got a lot of piercings and later tattoos. Now, I'm in my mid thirties and I definitely has a similar style as this woman, but maybe to a lesser extent because she has far more money to invest on her appearance. I often wonder how many ex-witless kids latch on to this subculture because tattoos and the like are looked down upon among the zealots in the organization.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Well I`ll be. I like that show , one mans junk is another mans treasure . Good for her, another success story .

smiddy

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

Of all the young dubs I've ever know that have left, only one ever became a stripper. He still is one, in Vegas.

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

WOw! I've seen American Pickers on TV. I would have never pegged her as an ex-JW. Kudos to her for getting out and becoming successful.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Danielle Colby ... she says with a laugh, ... “All of my friends who left the [JW] faith became strippers, just about every one of them. They saved money and paid for college and got great jobs.”

Giving credibility to Paul Thorn's humorous song:

Joanie, the Jehovah's Witness Stripper

• humbled
    humbled

"One man's junk is another man's treasure"?

---are you talking about the male stripper in Vegas?

I know a young sister who left, stripped for a while then quit it and went to college. She's a great person.

• baltar447
    baltar447

Wow, I always liked her she's beautiful. Cool that she got out and made her life a success.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

I live near Davenport ,Iowa ,and have gone to her Burlesque show a few yrs ago . The Pickers first shop is close to here too in Le Claire . I wonder what her parents names are ,and if we were in the same circuits ?

• Shador
    Shador

Yea, I had heard about this. I love the show, and even more so after I knew this.

It gives me sort of a kick to know that my uber-JW parents love AP also. If they only knew....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit