Fifty Years Ago-The Beatles Enter My Life

by Band on the Run 37 Replies latest jw friends

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Me neither BackseatDevil

When is The Stones's 50th Anniverary?

• Violia
    Violia

The Stones 50th should be a real barn burner.

• bigmac
    bigmac

i was still at school--just --when the first beatles record came out. no doubt--they totally transformed the brit pop scene.

although--later on i preferred the stones.

what is your most favourite beatles track ? for me its "fool on the hill"

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't have a favorite Beatles song. It depends on my mood. My favorite albums were Rubber Soul and Revolver. I don't like the white album. Sgt. Pepper's was awesome. The kept getting better and better reviews from even Establishment critics. Every store in Greenwich Village played Sgt. Pepper's all the time. Some uptown stores did, too. I wanted my tried and true Beatles. Part of me felt stalked by Sgt. Pepper. Now I adore it.

Yesterday, Nowhere Man, Fool on the Hill, Norwegian Wood, The "here I stand, head in hand, turn to face the wall song, A Day in the Life. I adore Ringo singing Honey Don't and Photograph. George - All Things Must Pass. Wah, wah, Help, Blackbird, Rocky Raccoon. Oh, I was so embarrased by Obl di, Oblada, Bra.The bra was too much. Why don't We Do in the Road. Did they ever realize that their fans were more than likely living at home with parents?

Lennon would give me the giggles. Was he going to call Aunt Mimi after his latest sexual doing? I always wondered how Pete Townshend faced his parents. Maybe that is why they are worth what they are worth and I'm in quite a different league.

I always approved of Jane Asher. When he married Linda Eastman, I gave the marriage six months. I was upset by Paul's grunge years b/c he was such a dresser when he was with Jane.

When I saw them at the airport, I could not believe the behavior of the fans. 13-year old girls can be very scary. I spoke with some of the other fans. They were so angry. They told me what they would do to Jane or Cynthia. A business executive thought he would tease the girls. He said that John Lennon had been air sick. A girl screeched that he should have saved it. Twelve or thirteen girls surrounded him with utter fury. He ran for his life.

When I first practiced law, I would sit and research topics. I had mapped out their corporate governance. Their litigation kept showing up across from the page I needed. Most people don't know this but they completely transformed NY personal jurisdiction practice. They were suing Allen Klein, their manager. The battle was over whether the cases would be heard in New York or London. The Stones had already sued Klein. The British judge despised Allen Klein. Law partners could not relate to them. They could not relate to the law partners. The partners begged recent law grads to speak to the Beatles.

Time to watch all the specials tonight. I am so happy that the Beatles appeared on TV fifty years ago. When John was murdered, it really hurt. Their great divorce also hurt. Overall, though, they brought me so much fun. I felt blessed that I lived in the same world as the Beatles. Maybe you had to be a JW kid to appreciate them.

• Violia
    Violia

Wow it all I can say to the Grammy's 50th Beatle special. So many great songs of the Beatles done by other artists. I personally thought whoever did " As my guitar gently weeps" really rocked it out. They were great. Alycia Keys did a great cover of "yesterday". it was so good. Dhani Harrison was on stage at one point playing guitar. I saw Sean Lennon but if Julian was there, I did not see him. I thought for sure when Paul closed with "Hey Jude" Julian would coming walking onstage, but guess not.

Sir Paul sounded great and Ringo was fun. My hubby and I loved it and the crowd at Sullivan theater seemed to be having great fun.

• Violia
  • Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I, too, missed Julian. The other Beatles liked him a lot. George said he had none of John's harshness. Perhaps the divorce was good for him. I try to not let my opinion of Yoko influence how I feel about Sean. I just feel that John was so hurtful to Julian. It was hard to see Dhani's face.

I loved it when the other acts ended. Too bad there is no way to record the Beatles albuum on modern audio equipment. I see Paul in concert every chance I get. Of course, I pay for the experience. (Paul did let me have free tickets when I was too ill to afford them. I knew his corporate structure). I have about half the remasters. They seem so flat compared to today's music.

Ringo is quite the showman. They are at least ten years older than me. I was amazed at how nimble and young they appeared on stage. Ringo's jumping jacks will probably send me to a physical therapist. They had to get swept away by the occasion. I am so grateful they decided to perform. Too bad they did not perform more songs jointly.

I felt more alive last night. More of my true self. They propelled me out of the Witnesses. My grandmother prob. told my JW cousins what a fan I was. When I saw them, I heard how awful the Beatles were. Just about the whole world were fans by then. I laughed. The Queen herself was a fan.

So many precious memories over 50 years. I cannot take another Beatle death. Not bad for a group I gave a few months.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..Paul Was as Good Last Night..

......As He Was Back Then..

......................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit