Fifty Years Ago-The Beatles Enter My Life

by Band on the Run 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Beatles were on Ed Sullivan for the first time fifty years ago. It blows my mind. I gave them three months and I was a fan before they appeared. My first exposure was on a news show. I could not make out the music or the lads. The British girls seemed to have so much fun in between their tears. I had to do my bit as an American. I was eleven. It seemed to take forever to learn which one was which. I joined the original Fan Club. All the girls had this instant bond. You had to show your devotion to your particular Beatle. Some girl wrote "George Harrison" five thousand times. His mom acknowledged her effort. We took over the theater to see their films. It was fun to screech at full level.

My father and JWs, in general, saw them as Satan. They were filthy and disgusting. Those couture suits and well cut hair were too much. All I knew and know to this day is the music was fun. Their fan club was very special. You were Beatles family. The more I heard how they were proof that Satan ruled the earth, the more I loved them.

Meetings annoyed me b/c I could be home playing Beatle songs. Looking back, I wonder why I did not just stand up and walk to Greenwich Village, where a large Beatle poster welcomed you to town. I could not afford a single album. When I finally worked part-time, I purchased them. I felt that all four of them were on my side. My posters, fan club stuff, and albums were confiscated often. Once my father carried on about John and Yoko and the WT. I most definitely was not a Yoko fan. I began to think of all the fame John had amassed. Classical music criticis were writing how brilliant the Beatles were as musicians. The thought of my local KH, and my father vs. John Lennon made me belly laugh right in my father's voice. I needed an angel to live.

We girls noticed how Ed Sullivan always had them perform last. Why sit through some Jewish comic, Laurence Olivier, or the mouse puppet? We missed the Beatles. I know a lot of people admired the Stones and the WHO. The Beatles were very heady for a JW girl. Once the Beatles appeared fifty years ago, I no longer cared about Armageddon, the Great Whore, or any other JW thought. I would sit in the meetings, dragged by my father who would publlicly pinch and kick me. I may have been in the KH but my mind played the Beatles soundtrack.

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

This gives me flashbacks of the 60's, BOTR. I remember seeing them on the Ed Sullivan show, too. The Beatles helped me to cope during my younger years. By the way, you are two years older than me, and of course wiser.

I remember when society judged their songs as an encouragment to do drugs. They were missunderstood by many but their music has survived many decades and are now classics.

• gma-tired2
    gma-tired2

WOW Fifty years!!! I was 16, excited they were appearing on Ed Sullivan. The congregation was warning all of us young ones that they were from Satan, the end was very close because of their music. JWs have been proven WRONG. I was never to grow old in this system, but I have, but the Beatles Music hasn't lost its magic with me. I often listen to Beatles on Ipod at the beach. I still own Beatle Albums in 33 1/3 albums, tapes, cassets, and cd and on Ipods. Can't play all of them but each album brings me enjoyment from memories.

• scary21
    scary21

I was 9 when I saw them. When I went to school the next day it was like the whole world changed, and it did. My JW mom let me have their albums. She did not like their hair . lol Your right ,everyone had a favorite Beatle.Mine was Paul and my BF loved John. When A hard days night came out we collected pop bottles for money to go to the show. Always loved them, always will ! My favorite albums -Rubbersoul and White but love them all,

Sherry

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

In the war between the Beatles and the Stones, I am in the Beatles camp. My fave was George, but who doesn't love Paul, John and Ringo?

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I remember watching them on Ed Sullivan with my sister and my mom. I was almost 7 but my sister was 12. My poor sister was bewildered by their appearance but loved the music. Same with my mom. Mom loved "Do You Want to Know a Secret". Still makes me weep when I hear it. Later she loved "Instant Karma". Go figure. My sister moved on to the Stones. I am a diehard fan of the Fab Four. I love to search through YouTube to find bootlegs and alternate takes of songs I have never heard. It is a dreamscape for we diehard fans. Happy Beatle 50th guys! Miss ya George and John.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Mouse Pupet? That was Topo Gigo, I liked him. I remember I was in fourth grade, maybe 10 or 11 when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, . I liked the music but wasn't totally into the fab four as much as some were. I remember a girl in my class had taped a picture of the Beatles to her desk, I didn't get it then. Later I learned to love them, I remember Elenor Rigby, that had a big impact on me, as well as many other songs, I had Sergeant Pepper and the White Album. My daughter, who is 37 is a Beatles fan, she wasn't even born when the Beatles were popular. She does every Beatles song on guitar hero. I remember the day that I heard they broke up, you had a feeling something great was lost.

• LV101
    LV101

50 yrs. ago - hard to believe! Will never forget their appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. Love the Beatles and the Stones.

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

WT 8-1-68

3 In England, the Beatles are declared to be more popular than Jesus Christ among teen-agers. The old religion is reportedly dead. There is a new religion now. It is the religion of the young crowd, with the young sound. John Lennon of the Beatles, recognizing this sweeping change in the world, announced: “Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. We’re more popular than Jesus now.” A young girl siding in with him asked: “Do you see a girl screaming over a picture of Christ as they do over a picture of the Beatles?” Quite naturally not. As little Zacchaeus once climbed up a fig-mulberry tree in order to get a better glimpse of Jesus Christ, so now youngsters line the rafters to get a better look at those who stir their souls. At the sight of the Beatles one girl cried out: “O my God! O my God! I can’t stand it. I can’t stand it.” “God” was on her lips, but it was not a minister of God or the message of Christ that was stirring her soul.—Luke 19:2-8.

Spoilsports!

• designs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit