Story of a GB ass-kisser

by zound 15 Replies latest jw friends

• zound
    zound

I was reading a life story article in the latest watchtower and had a few thoughts about it I thought I'd share here. These life story things are always so depressing to me - this one is slightly interesting because it is told by a current "governing body helper".

It's called "Full time ministry - Where it has led me." Reading it I just got the impression that this guy (Robert) was aiming to be a GB member but fell short and ended up being a GB "helper".

It starts off with this:

John Chimiklis and Ted Jaracz—were assigned to the traveling work in our area.... I can still recall when Brother Chimiklis asked me what I was going to do with my life. When I told him, he urged me: “Yes, get right into the full-time ministry. You never know where it may lead you.” That advice, along with the example of those brothers, deeply impressed me. So after graduating, I began pioneering in 1948.

Under the heading "Bethel Assignments" there seemed to be a hugely subserviant attitude - he describes in detail about sharpening Nathan Knors pencils, after Nathan Knor described a similar thing that landed him a top office job.

On one occasion, Brother Knorr spoke to me about the need for caring for what might be called small matters. To illustrate, he told me that when he was the factory overseer, Brother Rutherford would call him on the phone and say: “Brother Knorr, when you come over from the factory for dinner, bring me some pencil erasers. I need them at my desk.” Brother Knorr said that the first thing he did was go to the supply room, get the erasers, and put them in his pocket. Then at noon he would take them to Brother Rutherford’s office. It was such a little thing, but it was useful to Brother Rutherford. Then Brother Knorr told me: “I like to have sharpened pencils on my desk. So please have them there each morning.” For many years, I made sure his pencils were sharpened.

Knor was factory overseer, but by dilligently kssing Rutherfords ass he got a top job. Robert seemed to try the same "for many years", but to no avail.

He goes further on about his ass-kissing Knor and seems to enjoy fondly describing a time when he got a rebuke from him for not listening carefully enough:

Brother Knorr often spoke about the need to listen carefully when we were asked to perform a particular task. Once, he gave me explicit instruction on how to handle a certain matter, but I failed to listen carefully. As a result, I caused him much embarrassment. I felt terrible, so I wrote a brief letter saying that I deeply regretted what I had done and felt that it would be best for me to be transferred out of his office. Later that morning, Brother Knorr came to my desk. “Robert,” he said, “I have your note. You made a mistake. I spoke to you about it, and I am sure you will be more careful in the future. Now let’s both get back to work.” I deeply appreciated his kind consideration.

He obviously doesn't detail what the mistake was, could it be he didn't sharpen Knor's 2B enough? I wouldn't be surprised if it was something petty like that. This guy seems too damn soft for the GB.

He describes getting married, but for years they were apart because he was at bethel and she was pioneering in Brazil.

Our only contact during the first two years of our engagement was by mail. It was too costly to telephone, and there was no e-mail in those days! When we got married on September 16, 1961, we had the honor of having Brother Knorr give our wedding talk.

He really seems to look up to Bro Knor, he can't stop mentioning him, even making him the main focus of his wedding day recollection.

Under the heading "Priveleges of Service" he tells us he became a zone overseer. But at that time wives were not allowed to accompany their husbands, so for the next 13 years his 'privelege' took him apart from his wife.

The final heading is called "A rewarding and purposeful life". I'll let it speak for itself:

Although I am not able to travel around the world as in former years, I am able to keep up my daily work as a helper to the Governing Body, working with the Coordinators’ Committee and the Service Committee. I greatly appreciate the privilege of having a small share in supporting the worldwide brotherhood in this way. It continues to amaze us to see the large number of young men and women who have taken up the full-time service with the attitude of Isaiah, who said: “Here I am! Send me!” This multitude of individuals echo the truthfulness of the words of the circuit overseer who long ago said to me: “Get right into the full-time ministry. You never know where it may lead you.

Yes, that sounds like a very rewarding and purposeful life. Life highlights including the privelege of sharpening your bosses pencils. An anecdotal story about that time when your boss chastised you for screwing up. Forced seperation from your wife for many years because of 'kingdom interests'.

Earlier in the article he quotes the letter of acceptance from his idol Nathan Knor:

It was signed by Nathan H. Knorr, who wrote: “Your application for Bethel service is at hand. I understand that you agree to remain in Bethel until the Lord takes you away. I would therefore like you to report to Bethel at 124 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn, New York, on September 7, 1950.”

What really struck me was that from what I can tell the word "Jehovah" was only used twice in the article near the end, and in this context:

Lorraine and I frequently reflect on our more than six decades in dedicated service to Jehovah. We are very happy with the ways we have been blessed by allowing Jehovah to direct us through his organization.

There was just zero account of his love for god or any kind of spiritual aspect in the article, just stories about Knor and other Watchtower dignitories, and the 'privellege' he had to serve them and be chastised by them. It reads like a company man who kissed ass all his life but it didn't quite pay off in the end. It led him to a subserviant life grovelling for the GB until 'the lord takes him away'.

It really is a sad and empty sounding life when I read this. I don't mean to mock the man, but I just got complete and utter coldness from this. Even when describing his wedding day as I mentioned, it seemed the highlight was that Knor was there.

What do you guys think?

• zound
    zound

I forgot to mention his 'priceless' education.

I have often said that I could never have paid for the education I received working with Brothers Sullivan and Knorr, as well as with others in Bethel, such as Milton Henschel, Klaus Jensen, Max Larson, Hugo Riemer, and Grant Suiter.

And also note what attracted him to his wife:

I saw Lorraine Brookes, whom I had met in 1955 when she was pioneering in Montreal, Canada. I was impressed with her attitude about full-time service and her willingness to go wherever Jehovah’s organization might send her.

And of course this:

When I told Brother Knorr about my intentions, he suggested we wait for three years, then get married, and serve at Brooklyn Bethel.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I believe this guy was one of the folks on Ed Dunlap's judical commitee.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Kinda like being a flunky in the mob.

S

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

And in that day many will say, " Lord! Lord! I knew Nathan Knorr, and I worked with Milton Henschel and Grant Suiter."

He should have married the one he really loved, Nathan knorr.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Hmm kind of sad, but if you believe you had a great life does anything else matter?

• zound
    zound

After I had spent almost three years in the Service Department, Max Larson, the factory overseer, told me that Brother Knorr would like to see me. I wondered if I had done something wrong. It was a relief when Brother Knorr said that he wanted to know whether I was planning to leave Bethel in the foreseeable future. He needed someone to work in his office temporarily and wanted to see if I could handle the assignment. I said that I had no plans to leave Bethel. As it turned out, I was privileged to work in his office for the next 20 years.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Obviously this story is a bold-faced lie.

the first two years of our engagement

No j-dub stays engaged that long. They're too horny. 2 months maybe. Obvious fabrication.

• zound
  • Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Hey this guy obviously had not much going for him, so being a sycophant and hanger onner for a prominent man was his greatest achievement.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit