Watching Amish Shunned on PBS...very deja vu if you are/were a JW!

by tenyearsafter 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• minimus
    minimus

I watched it and it was pretty boring but I could relate.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu

I dvr'ed it, gonna watch it now .

Why can't someone do a similar show on the JW?

I guess they are to slippery?

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

I have a good friend who was raised Amish. Her mother took all 6 of her kids and left when my friend was in 6th grade. She ended up "corrupting" a very nice Amish man, so they deal with issues very similar to what my family faces. She is one of the few people who understand what I'm talking about.

She is funny sometimes too. She has some remnants of her upbringing, like her vocabulary and resistance to modern medicine. But she has taught me a lot about canning, and she does not waste ANYTHING! Haha.

• paladin
    paladin

I watched it today. I noticed high control in their religion. I also thought about their method of transportation. Still living in the horse and buggy days.

• Sobeit
    Sobeit

Watched it also and noticed the Amish families had get togethers, kept in touched and helped

one another. This was not my experience. Our JW relatives were not warm or loving while

we were active and when we left, no difference.

• blondie
    blondie

Remember this is a documentary and does not reflect the vagaries of getting along in such a community. Remember the young woman who said that there were 5 Amish groups in her area but she was in the strictest and could not marry anyone in the other four AMISH groups. Remember the English family who gradually became part until their son married a born-in Amish which ended in the mother being shunned. They were never accepted.

Saloma--one of the ex-Amish interviewed.

http://aboutamish.blogspot.com/2010/09/sexual-abuse-among-amish_08.html

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

tenyearsafter:

I have seen programs like this and I have to wonder what any active JWs with brain cells are thinking as they are watching this.

Is it not all too obvious that the JW religion is nothing unique and that, in fact, they resemble the Amish and other religions to a surprising degree?

Shouldn't this ring a few alarm bells in people's heads??

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Minimus: I watched it and it was pretty boring but I could relate.

I know what you mean. The show was slow-paced and somber. Still, I watched and I found it extremely interesting as I related so well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit