by sir82 91 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Here is the text of the letter:

February 2, 2014

TO ALL BODIES OF ELDERS

Re: Shepherding

Dear Brothers:

In imitation of Jesus, all elders need to cultivate a heartfelt desire to shepherd Jehovah’s
    sheep. (John 21:15-17) We must love our brothers from the heart by feeding and shepherding
    them willingly. (1 Pet. 5:2) The Shepherding textbook provides helpful suggestions on making
    shepherding visits in the homes of the publishers. At this time, we are pleased to provide the following
    additional comments that will assist you in fulfilling your responsibility as shepherds in
    the congregation.

As you know, we have specific arrangements to visit those who have been baptized for
    one year, to invite inactive publishers to the Memorial, and to make annual visits to certain disfellowshipped
    persons. Even so, we cannot view shepherding simply as a program that involves
    making a “shepherding call” once a month. While the Shepherding textbook states that a group
    overseer should arrange to periodically visit all in his group, there is no need for the body of elders
    to keep a record of shepherding visits, including the date a visit was made, who made the
    visit, and what was discussed. Nor is it necessary for one elder to make general shepherding call
    assignments. Although well-intentioned, such programs can overly complicate matters.

All elders, particularly group overseers, must strive to maintain regular, if at all possible
    weekly, contact with the publishers. (Prov. 27:23) Regular interaction with the brothers and sisters
    is very much needed and can be accomplished by meaningful visits before and after congregation
    meetings, by working with them in the ministry, and by visiting or telephoning them at
    other times. It includes contacting those who are sick, who are missing from the meetings, or
    who are irregular in the ministry. Such personal interest springs from genuine friendship and
    brotherly affection.—Rom. 12:10; 1 Thess. 2:7, 8.

As spiritual shepherds, we strive to deepen our self-sacrificing love for the brothers and
    sisters so that our concern is evident at all times. Without meddling into our brothers’ personal
    affairs, we strive to be a positive influence in the lives of the sheep, helping them to be strong in
    the faith.—Phil. 1:9-11; 1 Thess. 5:11.

In view of the foregoing, each elder should make the following notation in the margin of
    his Shepherding textbook. Next to chapter 2, paragraph 23, and chapter 4, paragraph 6, please
    write: “See letter dated February 2, 2014, to all bodies of elders regarding shepherding.”

We send our warm Christian love.

Your brothers,

Note the part I highlighted in yellow.

So now there is a Service Dept. mandate to all elders, especially group overseers, "take attendance" of the field service group at each meeting.

If someone is at the meeting, the elders are directed to speak to each one.

If someone misses a week of meetings, it will prompt a phone call.

So, if you are attempting to fade, you can expect a weekly phone call asking (in a "brotherly, loving" way) "So why weren't you out in service this week? Why weren't you at the meeting this week? What's going on? Do you need help? Are you 'spiritually weak'? Do you need a shepherding call? Don't move, I'm on my way over."

It's not hard to imagine how "faders" will now be quite prominent on elders' radar screens.

• Emma
    Emma

It's a "nice" idea, but how many elders have the time or the will to follow these instructions? Even for those who are sincere, I can't imagine it won't wear off after a few weeks. They're already too busy.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

It sounds good in print but will fail in application.

A letter to the BOE will not motivate "shepherds" who are already hopelessy apathetic toward their flock, as the vast majority do not serve because of interest in anyone but themselves and their position/power.

It may inspire a few Elder zealots to hunt down faders, but that interest will quickly wane....

[edit] Emma- posted simultaneously with yours...great minds....

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Agreed, only the truly anal, kiss ass, suck up, have to please the CO elders will follow through with this. Its very telling that they need to remind elders of these things. lol....

Do they really need to be reminded of this. You know how they will fix this, pay a minister and a couple of deacons (ministerial servants) in each congregation to handle these duties full time.

Such personal interest springs from genuine friendship and
    brotherly affection.

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

You know how they will fix this, pay a minister and a couple of deacons (ministerial servants) in each congregation to handle these duties full time.

---

It's simpler than that: allow Elders to count "service time" for doing Shepherding Calls. You'll see weekly shepherding programs in place in every congregation within two days....and you'll never see Elders go door-to-door ever again!*

* this doesn't mean shepherding will be meaningful.....just "counting time", same as the D to D ministry.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

Have had one sheparding call in 20 years. As stated above, this new directive will not have much effect on the status quo.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I fully agree with both of Shirley's comments.

That covers this subject.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

Yesterday the user BluesBrother wrote in Blondies WT Comment:

"I was always under great pressure to Aux Pioneer in April, but nobody ever asked me how the shepherding was being done. Unless they change the emphasis, the cong will continue to get hit or miss attention.....NB If he is on the RBC or such like he can get credits for field ministry hours . I guess that shows their priorities....."

• suavojr
    suavojr

sir82

I know th GB is trying to increase the control but this does not work as easy as they think.

What do you with publishers who simply don't go out in service and show up to the meetings once in a blue moon? I personally know of a few like that in my own congo and they are left alone. Elders will give up if they think you are weak and not interested in expanding the Watchtower kingdom interests.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I wouldn't read too much into that.

However, the sentence that mentions "meaningful visits before and after congregation meetings" has me a bit confused. If the "visit" is before or after the meeting in the KH, then that would be fine. A few words of encouragement I guess.

But if it means physically going to someone's home before and/or after meetings ... ain't gonna happen. Depending on the size of the group, visiting everyone in the group on a regular basis would become a part-time job and very few would ever do it.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit