Is it Humanly Possible, that the writers believe this stuff?

by objectivetruth 32 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Steve2 , oh yes all that type and antitype stuff, I'd forgotten all that! What rubbish. Yes I'm sure you were trying to find your way out of that nonsense. They told you to examine your heart because you couldn't get your head around the crap they were teaching you. Yeah it was always our fault!

Clarity and Maeve, thanks! I thought it was just me! By the way I enjoy reading your posts, both of you. I will make a point of saying so more often xx

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Before 1914, many members of the faithful slave class had high hopes of meeting with the Bridegroom in heaven that year, but their hopes were not fulfilled. As a result of this and other developments, many were disappointed and a few became embittered. Some of these turned to ‘beating’ their former brothers verbally and consorting with .................................................“confirmed drunkards,”

......Confirmed Drunkard...................Jail Bird

.............................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

To answer the question in the thread title. The way I see it, the writers in the WT Writing Department do not believe a word of it. If they did, believe they were writing truth, they simply would not even think of using mind-control methods, mis-quotes, half-truths, weasel words and downright lies.

People who believe in what they are writing simply give it straight, it may be deluded, error, biased, mis-informed or whatever, which will be plain to the educated reader, but the writer, if sincere, will be unsullied by the methods used by the Writing Department of the W.T

• designs
    designs

I look at Evangelicals and fundamentalists who are into Apologetics and realize the depth of genuine delusion. The GB are no different.

In the face of failed prayers for a Second Coming or Armageddon you do wonder what rationalization goes through their minds.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I believe that they believe it...

If one leads a life cloistered in Bethel, surrounded by sycophants and institutionalised , as they are - It is impossible not to believe that this is The Truth and the world is rotten to the core.

Just as soldiers in an army can be so wrapped in the cause that they see sincerely that "God is on our side" - so do the G B & Writing Dept

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Is it just me? Vs 45 seems like a segway fromthe rest of that chapter.

43 “But know one thing: If the householder had known in what watch* the thief was coming,+ he would have kept awake and not allowed his house to be broken into.+ 44 On this account, you too prove yourselves ready,+ because the Son of man is coming at an hour that you do not think to be it.

How did they go from that to this?

“Who really is the faithful and discreet* slave whom his master appointed...

and to objectivetruth's point, not only do they distinguish between the faithful slave and the evil one but they make the faithful one plural
    "Yes, the “evil slave” came from the ranks of the faithful slave" Huh???
    Maybe the faithful one had an evil slave child?
    It also sounds like they might just have someone specific in mind....

I find that verse a bit odd too.
    It seems to refer to the same slave as being faithful in one breath and evil in the next with no qualifier.

I did find one translation that says " But suppose that servant is wicked and says.... " which makes a lot more sense.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Self delusion can be a comforting thing to an individual , but it doesnt mean your delusion is "the truth " When i was a diehard witness i beleived the clergy of christendom new they were teaching lies , I dont beleive that anymore . The same with JW`s . Some people build a cocoon around themselves , either with peers or a group , isolate themselves ,, they beleive what they want to beleive , because thats their comfort zone . And their not going to let anyone interfere with the comfort zone their in.

smiddy

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Very, very funny Outlaw...

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

"It is tough to discover that what you have believed in and invested your time in for so many years is a false hope and even a fraud/scam. You can spend hours and a lot of verbiage in rationalizing justification and excuses to continue the learned belief system." - Douglas A. Wallace

"You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe." - Carl Sagan

Ray Franz admitted in "Crisis of Conscience" that after his research, Re: Watchtower's date of 607 BCE as Jerusalem's destruction, he could not prove that date as true- he knew WT was wrong and disagreed with ALL of the available evidence. Yet, when ordered to write the single longest article in Aid to Bible Understanding on chronology supporting the 607 date as legitimate, he did it anyway, despite knowing what he was writing was not true. And, Ray was at the top, a member of the governing body!! If he could deny the facts and knowingly promote a falsehood, why would we expect those in lower positions at WT to do any differently?

I think most of those in power at WT believe that what they print is true- otherwise they would not have a "zero tolerance" policy toward those who disagree with it. However, as Ray's experience reveals, even when they don't believe something, or the foundation of a belief is untenable at best, it gets printed as "truth" anyway.

• designs
    designs

feburary 4th is the debate between Bill Nye and Jon Hamm the Creationist. It is a lesson in how belief in an old collection of writings can blind a person to scientific discovery.

Try rereading the Society's Creation books and see the similarity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit