Are some dog breeds more responsive than others?

by compound complex 41 Replies latest social entertainment

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I used to have a husky/German Shepard/golden mix, a real sweetie, 100 pounds of love. She lived to age 14, a good age for a dog that big. She was gentle with people but an alpha dog at the dog park. A neighbor's dog got out and came running into our yard. She was pretty old by then and had had surgery the day before, so I was worried. She struggled to her feet, then patiently waited, when mad Max ran into her, she just chest butted him, he was knocked ass over tea kettle and went home with his tail between his legs. I still miss that mutt.

I like the Dog Wisperer too. It always amazes me when he can take an out of control dog and make him instantly obey. It usually the owners that need retraining, not the dog. You have to be a good pack leader. Dogs want someone to be in charge, if you aren't, they will take control.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I think it is a case of both NATURE and NURTURE.

Some breeds are demonstrably more intelligent than others (Aussie Sheepdogs). I have also known of some dogs that had passively abusive puppyhoods (lack of contact with dogs or humans) that demonstrated failure to thrive syndrome - they weren't too sharp and were difficult to train - not BAD dogs, but not smart either.

• LV101
    LV101

Well, my typing just went cyberspace so i'll try again - interesting article couple of days ago (AOL topics, I think) under site of vetstreet.com "Not for Newbies". Veterinary experts choose 15 most challenging breeds for new pet owners but I think it's good info for seasoned owners, also. Unfortunately, it eliminated my favorites dogs or types I've been thinking about adopting/rescuing/purchasing even though I'm not a 'newbie' at dog ownership. I've had St. Bernards (my fav - wonderful dogs), English Bulldogs -- so cute/smart but some have serious health issues and grew up with various breeds.

Anyway, this site also recommends 18 breeds for new pet owners - vets love those little Bichon Frise (my vet tried to talk me into one of those - they don't shed and are good for people with allergies - something like that) the Puggle?, Labroddoodle, Goldendoodlge, Cockapoo, Pug and, of course, the lab and Poodle along w/others. Interesting read - good article to check out if you've time. A type of shepherd was listed - not German - but I love those along with every other dog imaginable. I'm going to locate article and read about their choice of shepherd again.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Oh, never had a dog! Bit scared of German Shepherds.( LOL, CoCo-- do you understand what I just said?!!)

But love all mutts, golden retrievers, labs, jack Russel terriers, wiry terriers, schnauzers, any cute and feisty, furry, non.- drooling; all the doodles, poodles & poms( shout out to Mr. Winkle--the most adorable little guy. I think he might have passed on?)

• LV101
    LV101

rip - "wiry terriers" aha, that's the type of dog we had growing up - or my Grandparents had - or said it was that type. Great dog! I'm going to google right now and find out.

I don't know about Coco but think I understand what you meant by "German Shepherds." Funny!

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

Just lost my Standard Poodle and I still cry about it. She was beautiful and VERY smart.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Coco,

Are you dog walking? I love watching large groups of dog being walked in Central Park. They behave. In fact, I considered changing fields. i asked about the income one beautiful spring day. The walkers said it was decent income. Yes, you have to work on rainy days and in the cold and heat. You cannot tolerate even one untrained dog. The dogs seem to have a special affection for hot dogs from a cart. I don't think I could keep their leash lines free. the walker's dog always seems to be the least well behaved.

I get angry when I see large breeds in the city. It is so cruel to the dog.

The dog parks were another interest. Nervous, judgmental owners galore. Strange dogs not welcome. It reminded me of a co-op board. They wanted new dogs to audition. Right. Like they decide which dogs can enter a city owned dog park. I read that there are status rankings of these parks.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Dog Lovers:

Popping in for a moment and will comment more later -- thank you for sharing your dog tales!

BOTR: Some dogs I walk in their very neighborhoods, others not at all. Some I must transport to parks, but that has proved a problem (skittishness, unpredictable behavior). If I cannot contain the animal and see a potential problem looming, I err on the side of safety. One very large pooch I was walking froze in the middle of the street and I had to carry him home.

You've given quite a picture of what goes on in your area! VERY interesting!

CoCo

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

When I was a teen, I decided to walk several miles uphill to pick up a New York Times on a Sunday. Rascal was not invited. She decided to tag along. I made the mistake of allowing her to walk with me. When I purchased the very thick newspaper, I found out she had no intention of walking back home. I call her bluff. She called my bluff. I barely made it back home, carrying all the different sections in one arm and a dead weight dog in the other.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I know that pure breeds have predictable behavior traits. Mixed breeds, you never know what you're going to get. I have seen people do some pretty unsanitary things. My sister used to let her dog drink out her glass. I don't think naked dog or cat butts belong on human furniture, tables or counter tops. I remember an episode of the show Sex and the City. Charlotte got married and her husband was running around nude and sat on her white sofa. It clearly upset her. Who wants a sofa or bed that smells like people, doggy or kitty bottoms?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit