Are some dog breeds more responsive than others?

by compound complex 41 Replies latest social entertainment

• compound complex
    compound complex

Woof!

I care for numerous canines and wonder about your experiences with man's best friend.

Some appear ready and able to do as asked and others, well, just sort of stare . . . and stare. . . . I realize a lot has to do with the handler's manner.

Kindness and patience matter, of course, and some pets have never graduated from Obedience School. Still, on occasion, me and mine appear to be speaking a different tongue. Some owners are very indulgent with their pets, even allowing them to sit at the table with the guests. I will not share my bone with Rover if he demands to sit next to me.

Any thoughts, experiences, general tips on pooch care are welcome.

CoCo of the Canines

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

If you just google, there are hundreds, if not thousands of sites that describe the temperaments of certain breeds. Dogs have been selectively bred for certain purposes. Terriers have spunk. My sister's yellow lab was much more mellow than our fox terrier. He had to be at his size or he would need to be destroyed. There are breed recommendations for amount of running free space, grooming, exicitability, docileness, etc. Sheepdogs herd. So much info is available. When we finally were able to have a dog when my father died, my mom just went to the pet store. I knew nothing about alpha and pack behavior.

Training is problematic. I watched Cesar Milan's Dog Whisperer show. It impressed me so I googled Cesar Milan. Most prof'l vet groups and schools petitioned to have his show removed. They claim his work is cruel and leads to aggressiveness in dogs. After reading some summaries, I watched Milan again and I did notice behaviors I did not note before my reading spell. One can spend hours concerning training methods. I have no expertise to weigh them in a broader context.

I would research in earnest. We evidently let our fox terrier down by not providing alpha structure. Rascal came into our lives when we quit the KH. She was a symbol of freedom and family. Rascal was the anti WT dog. I asked a friend why we can't just love our pets. They aren't human. I'm wondering if volunteering for a short while at a dog shelter would not give you exposure to many breeds. Personally, I want a dog desperately. My life is not stable enough now.

• galaxie
    galaxie

Nope , I find they all react to the feeding bowl in much the same way. Stop feeding them and see how much they "love" you ! WOOF !!!

• compound complex
    compound complex

Very, very informative and helpful, BOTR! Thanks so much fo making points I'd not considered. Wishing you a more stable existence and the pooch of your choice. One client has a dog called a "Comfort Dog"!

You are so RIGHT, galaxie! I move out of the line of fire with the big guys; they'll knock you down! Welcome to JWN.

Have a mere 7 cur-to-care-for today.

Regards.

CC

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I'm more of a cat person but i did have a beautiful mutt for 10 yrs. She was a beagle,bassett,collie, springer spaniel mix and she was lovable but not obedient. i was in my twenties at the time and probably not too strict. I was always good to her and spoiled her and we had a great time together. I'd tell her not to get on the bed and in the morning wake up with her 50lb body up against my back. Every pet relationship is different and i'm not sure there's really a right way as long as they don't become dangerous.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good points, Nancy! I appreciate your input.

Off and running to scrub toilets, floors and feed and walk 7 dogs -- TODAY!

CHEERS!

CoCo des Chiens

• galaxie
    galaxie

They should all be wolves, then you'd really stay out of their way....AAWOOOOO !!!

• scary21
    scary21

I perfer a small non shedding dog but............my husband gave me a choice, a golden or a yellow lab. We got a female golden ( We have had two). The first one wanted nothing but to please me. The second one only cared about pleasing her self. Both were so smart and I trained them to do alot of tricks. The first one ( Reagan ) would even pick up her toys and put them in the basket when told to clean up...lol Great dogs ! Very loving to everyone including anyone that may break into your home .( although they may kiss them to death )

Sad ending, Reagan died of cancer at seven years, and Ronnie died of cancer at nine. That is the only reason I will not get another Golden.

I hope one day they will be able to fix the gene that makes so many of them get cancer ( Boxers have this problem too ) Because this is a wonderful breed. Except for the tumble weeds all over your house lol..........better than pine needles like some dogs (Rottweilers )

Sherry.......a cat.......and dog person

• jgnat
    jgnat

For when you get back, I have a story to tell. My daughter is a dog person from waaay back and very early she wondered if Afghan hounds had gotten a fair shake. They were classed as the dog with the lowest IQ. So she shows Afghans and the dog she has now she has also entered in to agility. This supposedly "stupid" dog can jump through hoops, and his latest trick is to "dance" in a circle on his hind feet.

My daughter has also trained a cat to sit, lie down, "go in" to his carrier, and "shake a paw". Her skill is to get in the head of the animal and figure out what its motivation is. Each animal is different.

She also has to consider how her dog will behave in a pack situation, and if it is under control by its owner. She comes back from walking her Afghan some days, just shaking at the dangerous situation stupid owners have put her in. Recently she ran across two labs off-leash, owner casually walking behind. Her dog, on-leash, would be threatened by a casual approach from a "pack", so my daughter yelled at the owner to get his dogs under control. The stupid man kept asking if her dog was "dangerous"! She used her skills (voice and hand signal) to stop the lead dog in his tracks before he approached her Afghan. Very dangerous situation, and the owner was oblivious.

The Afghan may have gotten it's bad rap for not always following commands. If he's bored or uninterested, you would have to blow Mount Vesuvius to get him moving. Afghans were expected to be independent hunters, not a command dog like a German Shepherd or a Rottweiler. So they disobey more. After all, that's the smart thing to do.

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Every breed has it's specifics. We've had a Rhodesian ridgeback. He was lovely, but the first two years he was a real monster! Even ate the wood off the walls and started chewing on a new dresser. But with a firm hand and consistency we came a long way. After my divorce he stayed with my ex and had a good life there. He died when he was eleven years old, my ex, his wife, our kids and me were all there when the vet gave him his final injection. He died in his own home, surrounded by 'his humans'.

My first dog was a Cairn terrier. Quite a character, but what a prince charming he was! Still miss him to this day, he's gone for ten years now. I went to puppy class with him and he was a well behaved doggie, especially for a Cairn terrier (a breed known for being pigheaded and stubborn). He was very smart and bright.

With my new hubby we've had a boomer (yorkshire/maltese). That was such an awful dog! Really, I've never seen such a stupid animal in my life. Later we've learned that maltese dogs are known for being really stupid and very hard to learn anything. My opinion is that when you take a dog into your family, you have an obligation to take care of it. The animal depends on you. But with this dog it was horrible and causing a lot of stress and even arguments between my hubby and me. So after two years of hassle over the dog I gave in and we found an elderly couple who wanted to take 'the bitch' .

And now we've got two minpins (miniature pinschers). Both from the same parents, but from different litters (1,5 year difference). And they really are my sweeties. They're smart, they love to cuddle, they're just a bit nervous and bark frantically when someone rings the doorbell or walks by our gate... but I don't mind (my hubby does, but I don't care and I've told him that these two will stay with us as long as they live! He knows I'm not kidding. I'm not giving up another dog!). I'm considering to buy them a special 'anti bark'-collar, to train them to stay silent when people pass by our house. Or maybe I should buy one for my hubby, to keep him from 'barking' about those 'damned barking dogs' hahaha.

One rule I've always applied is: dogs eat after we've eaten. And when we eat there are no dogs allowed in our neighbourhood! We're the Alpha's, they're waaaaaaay below us in the hierarchy! (They're allowed to sit on our lap when we invite them to, they're not allowed in the bedroom nor the bathroom).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit