Why a Faithful and discreet slave???

by Crazyguy 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

The bible speaks of it making a man fully equipt 2Tim, and that the anointing teaches one 1john, holy spirit is also available luke, john and even god will grant wisdom if one asks james. So why the need for a faithful and discreet slave, in the bible????

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

The parable makes alot of sense if it is intended for application to "all" disciples. See this post and here for links to various aspects of the parable.

• exWTslave
    exWTslave

Interestingly,

Mark's gospel, which is the source for Mathew, does not make any mention of a faithful and discreet slave!!!

And Luke's slave is both faithful and wicked at the same time!!!--Luke 12:42-46

• clarity
    clarity

Welcome exWTslave..... look forward to

your introductory post!

clarity

• heathen
    heathen

I'm thinking that it's an end time prophesy and the FDS direct the great crowd , In the first century the holy spirit was to teach men and women were not to interfere and remain quiet and ask their husband what was the meaning of the inspired expression . It may have caused problems if the husband could not do so . I don't think there are many left of the little flock in this day and age , it's apparent corruption set in with the church . Many are called few are chosen.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

exWTslave:

Interestingly, Mark's gospel, which is the source for Mathew, does not make any mention of a faithful and discreet slave!!!

• Instead, where Matthew has the F&DS parable, Mark leaves off with, "What I say to you (the disciples hearing the Olivet Discourse) I say to all, 'Keep on the watch.' " (Mark 13:37; "All" is an inflected form of the Greek word pas; See here for additional. And compare Mark 13:37 with Peter's question in Luke 12:41 which moved Jesus to give the parable of the F&DS. Notice the "us or all" aspect of the question, versus in Mark, "What I say to you (plural), I say to all." Peter uses the first person plural - "us." Mark turns it around and has Jesus saying "you," the second person plural. Note, though, that Luke 12 and Mark 13 represent different occasions. Luke 12 occurs some weeks or months prior to the Olivet Discourse in Mark 13.)

And Luke's slave is both faithful and wicked at the same time!!!--Luke 12:42-46

• Actually, in the parable, the steward was 'faithful and discreet' leading up to his "appoint[ment] over [the Master's] body of attendants to keep giving them their measure of food supplies at the proper time." (Luke 12:42) From that point on the "Master" expects to find him faithfully "doing so" when he 'arrives' back from whatever trip he was going on. (v. 43) "IF" (from v. 43) he finds that to be the case, he promises to appoint him over all his belongings; in effect, another promotion. (v. 44) "But if ever" during the Master's absence, the slave should 'mistreat his fellow slaves, and misbehave in other ways' (v. 45), the Master will "punish him with the greatest severity and assign him his part with the unfaithful ones." (v. 46) From here the parable branches out further: The possibility is presented of "that slave that understood the will of his master but did not get ready or do in line with his will." He gets a severe punishment - "many strokes." (v. 47) On the other hand, "the one that did not understand and so did things deserving of strokes will be beaten with few." (v. 48a) Jesus then concludes the parable with the principle that "the Master" will base his judgment on: "Everyone (inflected form of pas - same as in Mark 13:37) to whom much was given, much will be demanded of him; and the one whom people put in charge of much, they will demand more than usual of him." (v. 48b)
    • "But if ever" is a conditional phrase presenting a possibility. It is also interesting that the possibility is presented of "that slave" not understanding the Master's will. This is curious when compared with the GB - who claim to be that slave - yet are most unforgiving when anyone dares suggest that they don't correctly understand the Master's will.

Take Care

• Faithful Witness
    Faithful Witness

The whole idea of serving a slave, or having a slave direct your life, makes no sense. Slaves serve their masters. You don't pay slaves. You don't let slaves make the rules.

I always thought Jesus was the Master. If you serve Jesus, you are his slave. You don't serve a slave.

The JW's put all their money on this one parable, and then twist it around to mean something Jesus never said. Do not follow the teachings of men.

They ignore anything that relates to love or charity. They do not follow Jesus' example, but hold up this one little passage as proof of their own power. Millions follow... why?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome exJWslave.

As I understand it it is ONLY a parable and NOT a prophecy. This is just another instance of the WBT$ cherrypicking scriptures to affirm the authority of 8 paedophile protecting cult leaders.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Well, "foolish, ignorant, deceitful, prideful, fearful, faithless, powerful works loving, false prophesying, pharisaical not knowing WTH is going on and beating others-Slave", does not exactly inspire confidence... Also, the scriptures you mentioned are right on. You just shared the " channel" that god uses according to the Bible. If you believe the scriptures, then you cannot believe the GB.

DD

• Londo111
    Londo111

It’s really not that mysterious a parable. Just one of four parables Jesus gives from Matthew 24:45 to the end of Chapter 25. Each parable, the Faithful and Evil Slave, the Wise and Foolish Virgins, the Parable of the Talents, the Sheep and the Goats are all saying the same thing but in different ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeURVCRK7GQ&list=PLyNx0oM_bmgBuDVZWWiInBRGoovkUj95B&index=2

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit