New awake up on jw.org about suicide

by hoser 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• clarity
    clarity

NotMyFirstRodeo .ouch...so sorry that this has happened to you!

The most important thing is realizing that watchtower society

has programmed you with a truck load of guilt! This unwarranted

guilt will make you sick and cloud your thinking.

Start uncovering the real truth, research everything about your beliefs,

that control you & make you feel bad about yourself!

The watchtower society only cares about the MONEY & keeping afloat!

It does not care what happens to its followers!

Wishing the best for you ... you have been in a shocking situation,

please take very god care of yourself ...you deserve it.

clarity

• steve2
    steve2

One of the elders on the judicial committee set up to decide my fate in the early 1980s committed suicide under tragic circumstances many years later. It is ironic that this man had earlier presented a scripted talk from the platform about suicide and I remember thinking to myself when I sat there grimly listening to it, "He has no idea about what to do to help suicidal people". Sadly, his own demise proved that true.

BTW, when I first heard he had killed himself (through a family member still in) I felt enormous sadness: He was not a bad person, just woefully ignorant about helpful ways to respond to people in pain.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Fact = the WTS/JWs has caused and influenced thousands of suicides since its inception as

a religious institution. Mostly caused and related to Disfellowshipping which resulted in the break up of

marriages ( remember Oompa) , or people who lost their relationship with their families for being

homosexual.

There was even a few young people who committed suicide during and around the 1975 Armageddon scare.

One teenager I remember hung himself in a garage behind a Kingdom Hall I was attending,

the parents took that if he was depressed was because he hadn't created a strong relationship bound with

Jehovah and thats what he should do, so they didn't take him to a Doctor of mental heath.

If they did he might still be a live today, the poor lad got overwhelmed by all the fear and anxiety placed

on JWs at the time prior to 1975.

Back in the mid 70's the WTS. expressed little respect toward mental health professionals, making them look

weak and needless in comparison to a stronger relationship with Yahweh the Almighty.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

diana netherton:

I knew of a JW who had a breakdown and their non-JW family told me (privately) that the doctor wanted this person to stay away from the religion. Apparently, some doctors see the religion possibly as a causative factor (?) If this is the case, surely the religion knows this and will not recommend professional help to its members who are depressed.

As others have said and as I have seen in my time as a JW: the religion is not conducive to mental health and certainly does cause depression, even in somebody not prone to depression. It tries to make perfectly content people feel guilty, worthless, anxious, paranoid, obsessive and the list goes on. How could a person not become depressed?

Aside from a small case of O.C.D., I am worlds happier since walking away from the religion!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It tries to make perfectly content people feel guilty, worthless, anxious, paranoid, obsessive and the list goes on. How could a person not become depressed ?

Well said LongHairGal

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

If I had to keep reading the WTBTS's stuff,......I'd commit suicide!

Just saying!

eyeuse2badub

• J-DUBBED
    J-DUBBED

Anyone know or hear about this one in Regina?

She was apparently struggling to get out of the bullshit cult. She worked at the Post Office in the city here. She would be found in the lunch room on a night shift with a Bible in her hand and drinking Crown Royal. Other workers would get her home and try avoid her losing her job. She finally walked onto a train track and put her back to an oncoming train just on the West side of Regina.

http://www.okthepk.ca/dataCprSiding/news/2009/09092106.htm

• Alive!
    Alive!

2. "People who care". For example, at times in their ministry, Jehovah’s Witnesses encounter distraught people, some of whom have admitted that they were desperate for help and had considered ending their life. The door-to-door ministry has given Jehovah’s Witnesses a unique opportunity to help such people. Following Jesus’ example, Jehovah’s Witnesses care about their fellowman. They care about you.

Right - so let me see.

Pioneer sister starts bible study with a distraught "house holder" who had mental health issues - a "wonderful" study - "loved what she was learning" - committed suicide two months after coming into contact with JWs.

Young guy in our congregation - was being mentored and given a bible study by "just the right brother" - committed suicide one late afternoon after his bible study in a spectacular and tragic way.

Ummmm - wife of elder, in our congregation, again committed suicide one day, in a horrendous and decisive way - went to every meeting....

Sorry, if I carry on with the numbers of suicides I know personally - and add to that the suicides of those who I have heard of - it doesn't bare thinking about.

I have been in two congregations where the sons of pioneer Mothers grew up to be psychotic killers who made front page news with the depth of depravity of their violent crimes.

This is just in a tiny capsule of the human population - 200 congregation members - I'm not counting the congregations where I have not been a member....if I did...it would go on and on and on.

The crime, violent disorder and other horrific stuff is far too abundant.

Im not being negative or overly critical - this is just a FACT.

By the way, Im not suggesting that no-one cared - my friend who lost her bible study to suicide was heartbroken - and went into an intense period of depression where she couldn't leave her home for nearly a year.

Its just - there is something, horribly, horribly wrong with it all.

• Alive!
    Alive!

Sorry, I posted again and decided to delete - I dont want to be bitter or generalise.

But seriously, there is something so terribly wrong behind the scenes of clean smart suits and smiling faces, good behaviour in public places etc etc.

The level of dysfunction is insane....which for people who believe they are being trained each and every day to be God's ambassadors to a dysfunctional world...it's just madness.

• Jay Elle
    Jay Elle

I feel very sorry for anyone so desperate to end pain they want to take thier life.

It is really interesting that Sampson was allowed to commit suicide and was still in jehovahs favor. He was in great pain.

I am not advocating suicide just pointing out that it is not a sin...it is a tragedy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit