New awake up on jw.org about suicide

by hoser 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hoser
    hoser

They have printed a series of articles about suicide.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Let me guess. They don't favor suicide.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

LOL

And the solution is more prayer, meetings, study and field service.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Unfortunately this article comes too late for the 6 JWs I personally knew that committed suicide..

• zound
    zound

Perhaps I'm jaded but I'm just seeing this article as another form of indoctrination. Notice under the section - "Three things that can help"

1. "Prayer" - Why not talk to God in prayer today? Use his name, Jehovah, and speak from your heart. Jehovah wants you to come to know him as a friend.

Get the householder to pray using the name 'jehovah' and you're halfway there.

2. "People who care". For example, at times in their ministry, Jehovah’s Witnesses encounter distraught people, some of whom have admitted that they were desperate for help and had considered ending their life. The door-to-door ministry has given Jehovah’s Witnesses a unique opportunity to help such people. Following Jesus’ example, Jehovah’s Witnesses care about their fellowman. They care about you.

Lovebombing - or getting people when they are weak. Just watch how quickly that care dries up once you're a JW.

And thirdly - "Professional Assistance".

Then the "real" solution - everlasting life and wiping tears away etc etc. Ending on:

WHAT YOU CAN DO TODAY: Start investigating what the Bible teaches about a genuine hope for the future. Jehovah’s Witnesses will be glad to help you. You can contact them locally or find valuable information at their Web site, jw.org.

• kneehighmiah
    kneehighmiah

I have a JW relative that was lost to suicide. The #1 thing they should recommend is professional help.

• Lightgrowsbrighter
    Lightgrowsbrighter

They are walking a thin line commenting on the subject of suicide. The counsel to 'talk to someone' including 'people who care... including family members and friends' is pretty tough if a person is disfellowshipped. Perhaps the WT writers should consider their own collective guilt in destroying people mentally with the abuse of disfellowshipping. Some who have been DF'd become suicidal and get a very cold response- at best- from those within the borg.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

They're certainly experts at driving people to that point.

• steve2
    steve2

Well, if they're right about the dead being dead and no longer in pain and suffering, to some vulnerable people, suicide could be seen as a blessed release.

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

During my last few years in the cult I often thought of taking my life. I could not figure out why I no longer wanted to live especially when I had a good career, a loving wife and financial stability. At that time I was very active as a MS reaching out for more privileges thinking that this was the best way to achieve true happiness. Still many mornings on the way to work I drove recklessly in the hope to be in an accident that would take my life without raising suspicion of suicide. After learning TTATT I stopped going to the meetings at once and I suddenly no longer wanted to die...quite the opposite I started loving my life free from the WT. It's been almost 4 years and I want to live more than ever...so I guess I won't have to read the latest Awake after all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit